ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renaultsport 225 Clio?

Hi

Is it an easy job to fit the engine from the megane 225 to a clio 172...does it use same gearbox/can they be mated?

Sounds like a great power upgrade option...

BMW M135i
ND0 box won't fit without some serious chopping about for a start, better off just going down the turbo conversion route with the current lump imo. Less hassle in the long run although you'll need to be careful to let the box survive.

Lionel Richie
don't think i ever said it doesn't fit Roy, just is a pain in the arse to make fit as it is very tight

DSC00023.jpg

Oh that's good then. I'm sure I remember you saying that some cutting was involved. I must have been mistaken.

Lionel Richie
from memory the only thing i had to touch was the rear wishbone mounting, i had to grind the top of that down by a small amount

172 phII
don't think i ever said it doesn't fit Roy, just is a pain in the arse to make fit as it is very tight

DSC00023.jpg

Hi Fred

What exactly is showned on this pic?

Is this a 225 gearbox in a 172 body or?

Did somebody did it so far and any feedbacks?

Cheers

Lionel Richie
that's a vel satis (same thing) engine and a megane 225 box in a 1.2 shell

its my car, i gave up at the time (about 3 years ago now!) due to lack of funds and lack of machinery to do the work

172 phII
that's a vel satis (same thing) engine and a megane 225 box in a 1.2 shell

its my car, i gave up at the time (about 3 years ago now!) due to lack of funds and lack of machinery to do the work

In your opinio what sort of work would include a swap of a 197 gerbox onto a F4R 732 in 172 body?

So far things I can come up with are :

gearbox itself is larger in size

there must be a some sort of a part manufactured to connect the 197 gearbox onto a 172 engine as AFAIK simple bolt on is not possible

gears are changed using cables and not a rod like in 1*2

Did I miss anything?

In your opinion would a 197 gearbox make a diference regarding performance if installed in a 1*2?

Cheers

Lionel Richie
plus you will need custom engine mountings for the gearbox, plus custom driveshafts

its a LOT of work for an extra gear!

there is a speed conversion available for the JC5

172 phII
plus you will need custom engine mountings for the gearbox, plus custom driveshafts

its a LOT of work for an extra gear!

there is a speed conversion available for the JC5

it is not just the extra gear, it is the totally different gear rations that interests me. IMO 1*2 would go much better with 197 gearbox but I would like to calculate how much better so Ive posted this topic http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=448763
but no reply still.

Could you please give some extra info on this speed conversion for JC5?

As far as fabricating certain parts I am lucky to be surrounded with people that can do those.

Thank you for your time

172 phII
^^^just get your stock box rebuilt with your chosen ratio's

No idea what your trying to achieve tho :S

To manufacture each gear is cca 1000 Euros per gear ;)

Im trying to put 197 gearbox into 1*2 to have a quicker car with a better cruise speed on motorway

clio 172
what about the engine mounts? are they all the same? if it was to be done, would the gearbox thing be the only problem or do you need any custom mounts? what about the wiring? is that all different? iv done a load of rover engine conversions which involved swapping the subframes and everything so im alright with a spanner :D!

BMW M135i
what about the engine mounts? are they all the same? if it was to be done, would the gearbox thing be the only problem or do you need any custom mounts? what about the wiring? is that all different? iv done a load of rover engine conversions which involved swapping the subframes and everything so im alright with a spanner :D!
Engine mounts are completely different within reason, gearbox just doesn't fit and engine management is completely different if keeping stock megane stuff.