ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing Top Mounts - correct info?

Arctic 182
Hi guys,

I know it’s been covered before and I have used the search function, but the information seems confusing regarding the new style top nuts and mounts compared to the old style and how it doesn’t sit right.

I know there was an issue with the top nuts or a spacer?
If possible could someone please post the correct kit I would need to order to replace both top mounts on my 182?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PH2 172
Hi guys,
I know it’s been covered before and I have used the search function, but the information seems confusing regarding the new style top nuts and mounts compared to the old style and how it doesn’t sit right.
I know there was an issue with the top nuts or a spacer?
If possible could someone please post the correct kit I would need to order to replace both top mounts on my 182?
Thank you.
Save yourself a lot of trouble and order these to the original configuration.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Febi-Bilst...37597/1428599220?_trksid=p2047675.m4096.l9055

If you see what I mean.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/172-new-top-mount-modified-spacer-issues.641094/

Last edited:
  PH2 172
saves messing round with the old spacer nut palaver.

I know what you mean by the old spacer nut palaver, in that you mean the new spacer nut.
Regrettably, if you don`t qualify every phrase or sentence, someone with misinterpret it.
That little sentence will cause confusion into the 2020`s.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I know what you mean by the old spacer nut palaver, in that you mean the new spacer nut.
Regrettably, if you don`t qualify every phrase or sentence, someone with misinterpret it.
That little sentence will cause confusion into the 2020`s.

Let them be confused muahahahahaha.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Hey @STEVE.M
I am currently running the k tec solid mounts and I'm thinking I might go for the std ones untill I'm gonna find replacement bearings for the solid ones. Question is.. That stepped spacer you mention.. Is it included in the febi kit because I'm not sure that I kept old parts from the original mounts.
Thanks!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Hey @STEVE.M
I am currently running the k tec solid mounts and I'm thinking I might go for the std ones untill I'm gonna find replacement bearings for the solid ones. Question is.. That stepped spacer you mention.. Is it included in the febi kit because I'm not sure that I kept old parts from the original mounts.
Thanks!
Why you changing out of interest?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Why you changing out of interest?
One of the k tec ones has a play in the bearing, so wanna take it off and start looking for a replacement bearing set. Untill then I would be using the std ones

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Yeah I know that but I'm about to throw some 600 quid into other repairs. Paying 70 for 2 bearings plus 40 for transport to my country is 110. This is nearly the cost of the PMS mounts for example which is a bit too much now. That's why I'm trying to find replacement bearings locally at a reasonable price and run std ones untill then.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
@ripp I rebuilt mine with GEH20ES-2RS SKF Spherical Bearing 20mm Steel/Steel from Wych Bearings, but I'm sure you can find a local supplier in your country.

http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/geh20es-2rs_skf_spherical_bearing.html

Currently ~£45/pair plus shipping for SKF bearings which is a £30 saving over Ktec's price for a known quality bearing, but obviously means you need to be careful with the metal seal and the circlip as you'll be reusing them
Those aren't the bearings that are run from standard In the ktec mounts.
You're better off just going through ktec as you don't save much money sourcing parts yourself if you can't reuse washer and circlips.

The bearings you want are SKF GEH20C, the circlip is 40mm internal and you 32x44 ptfe washers

Good to know what was in the originally, my set had no markings on the bearings and failed after little use so I replaced them based on dimensions and purchased the ones with lip seals to try and prevent dirt ingress (the standard washers dont do a great job).

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Good to know what was in the originally, my set had no markings on the bearings and failed after little use so I replaced them based on dimensions and purchased the ones with lip seals to try and prevent dirt ingress (the standard washers dont do a great job).
What do these standsrd washers look like? don't remember seeing them in my mounts. Only visible componets are the mount body, the bearing pressed inside and the retaining circlip

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
hmmm are yours the new style black anodised ones? Mine are the old gold design and can't remember them having those washers

Mine were black anodised and fitted when I got the car, i suspect somewhere between 2010 and 2014.

They may have been replaced, who knows. They were knocking and I replaced the dampers, so I fitted new bearings too and decided to go for the ones with dust seals for belt and braces.

The bottom line is that all these topmounts use a bearing in the wrong orientation and then leave them exposed to salt, water and air. They'll never last long and tbh arent at all suited to road cars. On a race car they'd be stripped and cleaned regularly, stored in a garage and never exposed to salt.

Sadly renault made suck a crock of the original design and the aftermarket is all "race-yo" that no high stiffness rubber bushed alternative exists.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
lol yeah... instead of the std ones I'd better live with the noisier solid ones and replace the bearings once every couple of years. The previous ones lasted around 5 years before one of them started to develop a play in it