ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing Top Mounts

Just a Noob question. I am putting some coilovers on and have been advised to use current topmounts as the ones on the coilovers are not the best.

Are the top mounts under tension? Or will they just screw off?

Sorry if this seems obvious but at a glance last night I was unsure and the last thing I want to do is unscrew them and have a mini explosion!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That idea by James is a jolly good one. You will need spring compressors otherwise if you want to avoid the top nut becoming a missile. Put top mounts on coilovers today and was able to compress the helper spring enough by hand to allow the top mount to be screwed on without compressors.

PH2 172
That idea by James is a jolly good one. You will need spring compressors otherwise if you want to avoid the top nut becoming a missile. Put top mounts on coilovers today and was able to compress the helper spring enough by hand to allow the top mount to be screwed on without compressors.
You dont really need spring compressors on 172/182,two pairs of hands can easily change a top mount bearing between them with solid platform shocks.Just spin the 17mm nut off with a deep socket and an airgun or impact gun.
The spring/shock might twitch a bit,but thats all.
Lower the rings on the coilover so there is no tension on the spring to fit the bearing/top hat spacer & nut.