ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Restricting my 172.

PH1 172
Hi everyone.

Just a quick question my Clio is due to go in to have some paintwork done soon but I wanted to know if there is a way of restricting the car so that it's got next to no power at all as I worry about leaving my car with other people? I do all the work on it as I don't like to use garages as i always hear stories of them taking them out for a thrashing, I know there not all like this but more for peace of mind.

Ben.

PH1 172
I was planning on leaving it on fumes but it's still gotta be able to be moved around the workshop. How do I put a low limiter on it as it is still a standered ecu setup?

PH1 172
Like I said they still gotta be able to start it so they can
move it around, what plug can be disconnected to put it into limp mode without causing any damage to the engine?

Suzuki Jimny
I took mine to a garage to change a track rod end and spring.

I reset the trip computer before I handed it over. Said I didn't want them test driving it.

Got it back and they had done 6 miles in it with an average mpg of 17. Felt like it had been touched inappropriately :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Take a photograph of the mileometer when you leave it and tell them you've done so and expext it to be on the same when you return.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Where are you taking it...body shop in baghdad?!

Im pretty sure if its a reputable body shop they won't look twice at your clio!

Just drop it off and tell them you've recorded the mileage!

Simples!

Lionel Richie
just record the milage when you drop it off, no biggie

i tell my customers exactly what i'm doing with their cars ie if its going back to my house (extend test drive to test for a weird noise for example)

its going for paintwork, they should have no reason to move it more than a few meters, so if it has more than 1mile on it, moan

BMW M135i
Take a photograph of the mileometer when you leave it and tell them you've done so and expext it to be on the same when you return.
Always works for me in the very rare occasion I give any car to anyone else, if they're any good they'll understand imo. Its the principle more than the action personally.

53 Clio's & counting
Thing is, i can see why your saying it, i can imagine some little scrote revving the arse off it in the workshop to here what it sounds like, but then i think ,no matter what they do with it, it wont be any worse than it gets from me lol

Shouldn't go anywhere if it's just in for bodywork, just take note of the mileage before it goes in.

320d
Take the exhaust off?

What? It's a reasonable idea.

That would only encourage them Alex because of the noise ;)

In reply to the OP: I woudn't worry about it too much, the only thing that would bother me is them possibly bending it, ragging it from cold and being harsh on the box/clutch.

Just tell them you don't want it absued basically, the only problem is you get a spotty 17 Y/O apprentice who see's the 2.0 16V badges and goes 'boss i'm taking the Clio out for a road test'.

I just use garages I can trust to look after my car now to be honest. As long as they drive with mechanical sympathy I don't care, wouldn't care if they've been blasting it around at 140mph to be honest.

DB.

BMW 440i
Just say you don't want it driven and have had bad experiences then check the mileage infront of them

Supercharged S2000
Dude what do you drive a enzo or something? its a clio, so what if they take it out and rag it, they work best when ragged lol

Monaco RS Clio 172
Dude what do you drive a enzo or something? its a clio, so what if they take it out and rag it, they work best when ragged lol

not from cold and remember, they've only gotta crunch 3rd good a few times and that box is on a tight rope.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I would be more worried about them f**king up your paint job than them driving it up the road a few miles. Just tell them not to drive it, if they do you won't pay. Simple.

Supercharged S2000
Why dont you rig it up with a Bomb, if they go over 30 Mhp the thing will blow up, just like that film speed, fair enough you wont have a car left after but you know! Ha

PH1 172
If they dont do a good paint job then i will see that and send it away to be sorted out.

I look after my car always letting it warm up before it gets driven hard, most engine wear happens when its cold anyways. Like others have said gearboxs can be fragile so dont want them damaging it so it pops 5mile down the road.

DB.

BMW 440i
Exactly. Not a 100k super car is it?

Irrelevant. Why should someone else drive his car in ways he doesnt want. Possibly putting his car in danger of being written off by unexperienced muppets ragging a car that they do not own around.

PH1 172
Irrelevant. Why should someone else drive his car in ways he doesnt want. Possibly putting his car in danger of being written off by unexperienced muppets ragging a car that they do not own around.

+1. Doesnt matter if its a £50 car its still yours not theirs and doesnt give them the right to abuse it.

Lionel Richie
some peoples faces when i take them on test drive (after a cambelt normally)

"its going to be on the limiter a few times mate, i have to check my work, that ok?"

fair enough in my book, as long as the customer is present

i'll probably get slating for it, but what would your response be if it failed 20miles down the road? major engine work + 30mph potter about = no

as said previously a bodyshop has no reason to drive a car other than manouvering about, 1mile tops, if its there for a while, they'll just want it in and out - next job please

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Pisses me off all this "its only a clio". He has asked for advise, he doesn't need to justify himself, and anyone who would be happy if they saw their car, no matter what it is being driven harshly by some tool without permission or reason!

I would just ask them not to drive it because you have had a bad experience in the past.
Or tell them there is something up with it and it must not be driven til its fixed (make something up) and say its on its way to be fixed as soon as they are finished!

DB.

BMW 440i
some peoples faces when i take them on test drive (after a cambelt normally)

"its going to be on the limiter a few times mate, i have to check my work, that ok?"

fair enough in my book, as long as the customer is present

i'll probably get slating for it, but what would your response be if it failed 20miles down the road? major engine work + 30mph potter about = no

Been there, done that, got the tshirt! lol!

As you mentioned earlier though, you told me you would take it home if thats ok and ran me through everything. Thats all thats needed.

A bodyshop is a different matter and shouldnt be moved off site really!

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
I understand what the OP is saying. Im very sympathetic towards customers cars, but some of the clowns i work with are quite the opposite. If its a Ph1, couldnt you loosen the throttle cable right off to give minimum throttle travel?

Clio 172
my girlfriends dad left his car with a garage to have some work done and they took it for an italian tune up after they'd done the work but got caught out bacause on their 100mph trip down the motorway, the bonnet which they hadnt properly shut flew open smashing the windscreen and ruining the bonnet too. he was gutted even though its just a mondeo. the guy that did it lost his job though.