ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

REVS

2003 MR2 Roadster
How strong is the 172 ph2 engine and gearbox?

The reason I ask is that I rarely rev it over 4500rpm. I have heard that there is a green light for changing gear - whats that about?

If I drove my 172 (mine has 29k on the clock) up to 5500rpm in each gear all the time would it knacker the engine/gearbox?

172 cup'd extreme
Its strong enough to take 7200RPM mines limmited at 8k rpm and its only a matter of time before it goes bang

2003 MR2 Roadster
I thought I was been too kind changing gear at 4500!!..lol

Its probably as I've only had it 3 weeks..I will now drive it as it should be driven!!

172 cup'd extreme
Well you dont get the main power until 5k rpm they like to be driven hard, the engines are very good and as long as you dont rush the gearbox it'll last ages.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Engine only starts working properly at about 4500rpm!! Stick your foot down, these engines love a good rev!

RS RIP
when driving to work every day, i warm it up for about 15min.
After which i will rev it some, to 7000, to keep her "loose" :approve:

Once warmed up, you can give it a proper beating. No worries

Clio 172
hahahaha, I would be soooo dissapointed with my car If I had never taken it above 4500rpm! I've had my limiter raised to 7800rpm and it's done 5000miles are very hard driving and feels great.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Never understood point of raising rev limit, doesn't power and torque drop off after 7000rpm in these cars? Don't the cup racers have a lower rev limit?

2003 MR2 Roadster
I get the message guys..I am a converted speed freak now - Its loves 6K+..WOW!!!..What was I playing at?..lol