ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road Angel

Skoda Fabia vRS

got one of these on Saturday...........its not fully registered yet but ive been using it today and its been working

it really is a simple yet quality piece of kit........id definitely buy one again....

anyone ever had any problems with em ?

I was looking to buy one actually, do they properly work? Where did you fit it in the clio?

How much did you pay for it? Cheers

Heard they are very very good!

Tryin to blag my bro to buy one for his cossie (just so I can rob it for my valver all the time! hehe!)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

perosonally, i wouldnt touch roadangel with a big pointy stick.

if you want the latest unit that works the best then go for the origin b2, much better units and u can put addons on it like new lasers that come out, u cna buy new heads to detect them.

the road angel was based on the origin blue i, and the origin b2 is out now, i have personally used both units and the origin b2 wins hands down, the road angel is a huge bulkey unit compared to the b2.

so basically dont get a road angel unless u want old technology.

But how much is the subscription 4 this new origin b2? Cos the road angel is £99 for life, dont think u can beat that?

How much are these origin b2s then? Was looking to get a road angel. How big are they? Where can they fit on a clio mk3?

Not much for the unit, just been looking at the origin b2, look good, but the subscription isnt available for the b2 yet, only for the first one, thats £50 every 6 months! Road angels only £99 for life

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

origin b2 have told me the selfs when i called them u get 1 years free subscription, and also after that its likely to be around 20-50 quid a year.

but the road angle only has a few features and you cant add on to it, the b2 u can add new laser recievers and blockers etc, also it has a chip in it for you upgrade the software, and thus get more features.

I had a Road Angel for about a week before I took it back for a refund - it was useless!

It didnt alert me to loads of Gatsos that have been around for years, even after I updated it. It also had a habit of alerting me to a certain Gatso one minute, but go along the same road again, past the very same Gatso and nothing. A waste of mone in my opinion.

Skoda Fabia vRS

well mines working perfectly

paid £299 for it.....

the speedo on it updates a lot faster than the Snooper S6 i had did, the whole unit seems top quality to me, very accurate and up to date, knew all the cameras ive been past so far......

it might be a bit chunky but its only slightly bigger than say a Snooper S5R, or in a different way the Snooper S6-NEO

id buy one again, its satellite contact is brilliant, its online within 30 seconds everytime i use it so far........which was never the case with the Snooper, and its also never lost contact yet......

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

the only reason i dont like the road angel is because, i was doing some work for a company, i was installing some pcs and they were a distributor for roadangel, bel and origin.

i needed to go get a part and they leant me there pool car, i went out and in it was a road angel and a traffic master, the road angel played up, as i drove towards a gatso it went off telling me it was there, as i went past it, 200 yards up the road it went off again telling me there was anouther gatso which there wasnt.

then on the way back went past the same cammera and it went off telling me it was there even though it was on the other side of the road.

when i got back i told the bloke i didnt think much off it, and he said tbh he prefers the origin b2 and let me take his car for a spin with 1 in, and it was excellent, told me loads more that the road angel did, and looked sooooo much better, i was impressed and he leant me a unit for a week and i used it every day and it was excellent never ever gave a false reading, and the satalite pick up was done within 15 seconds, never longer, litrally it was get in car, start it, reverse out and turn left, put in first gear and drive forwards out of drive/culdesac and it was online and working.

they also have a feature that if you brake down they can direct a aa/rac van to where u are.

they are just neater easier units, and the road angel is based on the origin Blue I and the B2 is soo much more advanced. i will be buying 1 soon as i have some money and soon as my engine is finished.

if u cant afford a b2 get a road angel u wont be dissapointed, but if u can afford it get a b2, and if u dont want gps get a bel.

Skoda Fabia vRS

mines never cocked up with any Gatsos yet......been past about 4 or 5 so far and its been perfect on every one of em

its VERY accurate IMO, the warning stops exactly as i get to the camera, the satellite pickup at any time has been amazin, practically instant......and the speedo updates very quickly aswell

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

yeh they are very easy to install, the unit is like the size of a pager and it has a cradle that it slides on to, it has 1 fat cable on it which u route through your dash then it has a few connectors on the end which u connect the gps reciever and the laser head to, and then to power and your all done.

I tested one of these the other day.

Picked up all the cameras near me. I really wanted to test it on a mobile speed camera but you never know where they are.

Speed was accurate and as soon as i passed the camera it stoped.

Very good. Was very impressed with it

THE ROAD ANGEL WILL NOT WORK WITH A 172 WINDSCREEN

I would imagine that no GPS receiver would be able 2 see through the screen coz it is RF relective or something (think and purple!!!!)

U need a re-radiating antenna ( £60 )

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by wackojacko on 17 September 2003

THE ROAD ANGEL WILL NOT WORK WITH A 172 WINDSCREEN

I would imagine that no GPS receiver would be able 2 see through the screen coz it is RF relective or something (think and purple!!!!)

U need a re-radiating antenna ( £60 )
it will if you position it in the centre at the bottom as there is an untreated section of the window.....

unless they have changed to a completely treated window now...

Mk2 Golf GTI

max power gave the road angel the gold award and the b2 silver.

does the b2 have the accident blackspot feature that warns of speed bumps and pot holes etc?

they state the following prices: Road angel - £379 + £99 lifetime subscription

Origin B2 - £430 + £50 per year

I think i will go for the roadangel.

Craig is it possible that the road angel didnt detect cameras because they were inactive ones?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

no the road angel database isnt as good as the origin one, and the reason that maxpower rate the road angel over the origijn is because of price, the origin comes with a years free subscription and they are setting up a life time one soon.

the road angel is a year or 2 old now, so its getting old technology.

and it should detect all cameras active or not, as its based on gps and gps cant detect if a camera is active or not.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Its the dogs....Jeez..thought I got a bargain at £310!!!

Yes... I had to buy the external aerial as the UV screen blocked the signal but then ALL gps units will suffer with that screen...even Mercs and BMWs!!! It did work sometimes but I wasnt prepared to risk it.

So Road Angel dont do upgrades????? how come they released the laser detector then?? They also upgrade firmware too!!

It will detect ANY camera in its data base... It only recognises cameras that are reversible both ways because they can be turned around. Mine doesnt go off if the camera cannot be turned around and is on the other side.

I have no experience of other units but this works for me. Isnt the Origin £100 more expensive than what ive paid for my Angel? If I paid that much extra I would expect it to ????? well what else can they do?? You could also link a PDA with Navigation software to the Angel for full Sat Nav.

Most GPS systems can have an output - its just NMEA.. My GPS Receiver is just NMEA.

I was thinking about getting a detector - but Id get an Origin, if not only for the look of the thing - It looks nice.. HEH.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

the road angel technology is old now compared to the origin, as the road angel has the same chips in it etc as the original origin blue i. the b2 comes with an gps areil that can be used inside or outside, the road angle has 1 output for an extra laser head, the b2 has 5!

the b2 has the option to be connected to a rac or aa database incase you brakedown, and can you take your road angel out of your car easily and put it in your pocket for saftey ??? no you cant but you can with the b2.

and ok you havent had a problem with yours but the one i used i did, and so has someone else on here.

Skoda Fabia vRS

the road angel can give you your exact co ordinates so you can tell the AA/RAC exactly where you are

the road angel can daisy chain as many laser detector balls as you want.....

and yes the road angel can fully update its software, not just the database

you can get a seperate aerial for the road angel, its not included to keep costs down and most cars wont need it

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

still cant fit it in your pocket and it has a tiny screen, and looks like a brick, also it isnt as easy to take out as the b2 and not as good wiring system.

Mk2 Golf GTI

malice, youve converted me to the ways of the B2, looking over it the road angel does look absolutely tommy tank! B2 is cool, im sure the features are better and it looks awesome. i might get one if the lifetime subscription will be out as soon as the free year runs out