ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Roll Cage Help Please Someone!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Ok so ive got a Cup 172 and Im looking to find a really smart rollcage for it.

I spoke to Safety Devices last week but they dont do one for the Cup sadly so would have to custom make it. Leaving me car-less for 1-2 weeks and robbing me of £1,600 +VAT.

Any other alternatives? I see that OMP do a bolt in cage for the Cup both front and rear that can be ordered seperately. Are they any good? Any ideas on prices?

My only requirement is that there isnt a huge side bar in the doorway so I, and passengers, can still easily get in and out.

Dr Cagee? GB Leo? Can someone come to my rescue!

Si.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Insurance ok with it? Mines on a modified policy but would still charge an extra 500-600 quid on top of my current 990!

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

A custom cage can be made in a day pal.....check out this months edition of pracical performace car....they had one designed to fit their Track day bmw.

How much extra weight will this be adding to your car though. I thought you were going for the "stripped out for extreme performance" angle.

Ta, Andy

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Stripped out but usable is the approach Andy. I havent removed the sound deadening or gone to the extreme of others as I need to use my car everyday and I do alot of miles - but always fancied my own little rally car. And this is as close as Im likely to get!

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah I heard a few good things about Roll Centre. Mine was from Safety Devices and to be honest it doesnt exactly weigh a great deal - well not as much as youd think...but is seems odd that they dont do one for the Cup. After all arent all later Clios exactly the same in terms of interior dimensions? Especially if you dont want door bars, you could get away with just a half cage in the rear.

X 200+ cup, now focus RS

dr cage has the first saftey devices one but think hes gettin together with GB LEO to make there own,

k tec do one

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Thanks guys for all your posts. Nick, I was really surprised too. Weird really.

Am going to try and track down GB LEO and if not get one through him, go to Roll Centre at St Ives.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by CupCake on 19 September 2004

Ill ask them tomorrow! Hehe!
So what about the insurance then?

Ive heard that (with some insurance companies) its the one modification that they wont insure you for. Think of it from their point of view... why does this person need a roll cage ;)!

Clio 197

Reanalt Sport offer a roll cage in their catalogue. Im not sure but it may be a sparco one.

Ed

Clio 197

The Renault Sport cage is made by Matter. They appear only to offer weld in versions, but you might check to be sure.

77 11 129 503 is €785,51 in last years catalogue.

[Edited by Eddd on 24 September 2004 at 10:44am]

[Edited by Eddd on 24 September 2004 at 10:46am]

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

sparco do 1 its a bolt in but it does have door bars it weights 26kg its £246 from DEMON TWEEKS

i suppose you could cut the door bars out because you are not using it for racing and it does not have to be FIA approved

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Wow thanks for your help Edd - as always very helpful with those Renault product codes! I will enquire as to its bolt in/weld in and see from there. Cheers M.C. I am waiting for a reply from DT about it at the moment.

Si.

Well fundamentally welded is stronger than bolted, its one structure and not two. Bolted feet in an event of a roll can just go through the car, because the weight/force isnt spread over as large an area as a weld in.

Bolted is for cost saving only.

-Rob

Clio 197

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 24 September 2004

Well fundamentally welded is stronger than bolted, its one structure and not two. Bolted feet in an event of a roll can just go through the car, because the weight/force isnt spread over as large an area as a weld in.

If mounted properly this should not be a problem, although many weld in cages have more mounting points and spread the impact better. The pads that the bolt-in cage mounts to should spread the force well, if properly prepared.

Actually some race/rally classes only allow 6 point mounting, or bolt in cages. Multi point weld in cages significantly stiffen the shell and offer a performance advantage. They can be prohibited to keep the prep costs down in certain classes as well.

Ed

Insurance companies dont like FIA approved cages as i have found out with the full cage in my 5, but if you buy a cage just for show like the chrome effect ones then they arent so tough on you.

I think if you are going to buy a cge though you may as well go for a proper approved one cause if you do intend to do track days in it you actually want it to do its job and save your life rather than just look good and crumple.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I think thats quite a good point no1girlracer.

How much extra did your cage cost to insure?

V

v6Max

Go for a welded in cage because then you get 2 things for 1 price; much better safety in impact/roll and better handling due to the stiffness imparted to the chassis.

Quote: Originally posted by Eddd on 25 September 2004

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 24 September 2004

If mounted properly this should not be a problem, although many weld in cages have more mounting points and spread the impact better. The pads that the bolt-in cage mounts to should spread the force well, if properly prepared.

Actually some race/rally classes only allow 6 point mounting, or bolt in cages. Multi point weld in cages significantly stiffen the shell and offer a performance advantage. They can be prohibited to keep the prep costs down in certain classes as well.

Ed
So like i said, cost.

Having rolled a few cars i can give a decent opinion of what i think is best. I dont see your point Edd, perhaps you can improve on a simple bolt in structure but its still not going to be as strong..

Si, if you want to be able to sell your car maybe you should consider not rollling it ;) You need to make your mind up with to what point you want to take your Clio, i would personally go extreme on something a lot cheaper.

-Rob

Clio 197

Ive been lucky enough to only roll twice with caged cars. Only once without.

Both cars had bolt in cages, and there were no problems. As long as the mounting points are properly reinforced, and proper grade bolts are used, a bolt-in cage is just as effective as a welded in one, provided the number of mounting points is the same.

The rules for the classes required a 6 point bolt in cage.

Ed