ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Roll on from 30mph

Clio 172 Cup
Was out this evening and was about to join a motorway from a filter lane, due to the potential ice on the road i was only doing 30. There was a Honda S2000 in front of me travelling at the same speed. Once straight he gunned it down the road, i had already pre empted this and accelerated at the same time. It was neck and neck before we had to brake, Now i also own a Mazda RX8 PZ which is reasonably quick and on track is quicker than the S2000. I was wondering about others experiences against other cars.

My reason for the question is that i sprint and hill climb the RX and in 3 years it has only been beaten twice, thinking of using the Clio in a few sprints so just comparing.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
My mate had an S2000. Really fun car, one I'd happily own, but they aren't really torque monsters and especially if you catch one out of VTEC.

Clios are pretty good for sprints and hills although for some reason they seem to be a fairly rare choice.

dan's cast offs.
14448979_10155296425374278_7149532114606903463_n.jpg

You think a PZ is fast? One of my good friends had one for a few years, wasn't impressed by it at all! It was standard though mind (aren't the ECUs untunable?)

They're meant to be 230bhp aren't they, but apparently most only put out around 185 from memory?

Another friend also owns an S2000 and I would say that's a much faster car. 240ish standard and probably lighter.

I think you should consider using the Clio for sprints, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

You think a PZ is fast? One of my good friends had one for a few years, wasn't impressed by it at all! It was standard though mind (aren't the ECUs untunable?)

They're meant to be 230bhp aren't they, but apparently most only put out around 185 from memory?

Another friend also owns an S2000 and I would say that's a much faster car. 240ish standard and probably lighter.

I think you should consider using the Clio for sprints, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah I'm with you on that, the PZ isn't that quick around the track. I had one off in my old marshmallow 6MPS around 3S which is very tight. The S2K is definitely the quicker car in all scenarios IMO.

OP my electric roller boot would have all 3 of your cars from a 30 roll :tongueout:

The older hondas were way more aggressive on changeover making the driving experience more fun. Newer one are more tame but not necessarily slower

Yeah Dan I've heard the same too. And in all fairness, I had a go against a 172 not so long ago and i did pull slightly ahead. Only marginal mind. So the hype regarding the FN2 being slower than the ep3 etc is b****cks tbf.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Be quicker less hectic to drive probably. Won't be anywhere near standard then Rs tunered Clio's. jokes.

Where you getting it mapped and thought you were getting a turbo for it?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah Dan I've heard the same too. And in all fairness, I had a go against a 172 not so long ago and i did pull slightly ahead. Only marginal mind. So the hype regarding the FN2 being slower than the ep3 etc is b****cks tbf.

Clio wasn't trying

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
My mate has an EP3 with intake, exhaust manifold and exhaust mapped at 240bhp and it certainly moves! Probably not far off mapped Megane pace (stg 1).

Only went on one. But did a day with Ctro at Oulton and the ep3's as above are very quick

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Not a fan of tdi north after they managed to charge me a lot for sorting a tracking issue out with an old phase 1

I'd get advice off @Danith and speak to Stevie at grinspeed

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah was to do with rear shims getting fitted. No idea where I took it there loookibg back.

Went to grinspeed and job done

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Not a fan of tdi north after they managed to charge me a lot for sorting a tracking issue out with an old phase 1

I'd get advice off @Danith and speak to Stevie at grinspeed
I'm no expert but I've done a lot of digging.

Give Stevie a call at grinspeed, he recommends a guy in Blackburn I cant remember the name.

Tdi have got too big for their boots for me. Don't reply to emails or return calls, plus have a lot of fanboys on forums that put me off.

Seems a decent place but unless you're spending big money they don't seem arsed

I'm no expert but I've done a lot of digging.

Give Stevie a call at grinspeed, he recommends a guy in Blackburn I cant remember the name.

Tdi have got too big for their boots for me. Don't reply to emails or return calls, plus have a lot of fanboys on forums that put me off.

Seems a decent place but unless you're spending big money they don't seem arsed
Yeah I got that vibe mate when I had my EP3 and they are crazy expensive.