ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rs2 with boost

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Right!! I've heard a few rumours that the rs2 inlet won't work with boost but I can't see why? Only thing I feel the problems would be is keeping the sensors in and that can't be hard to overcome?
Has anyone ever tried it?

I like the idea of it to be honest and want to see if anyone has any facts on the subject before I waste my money

pretty sure the principle is spot on, but that the reality is there is nowt to gain by doing both. If there was a gain to be had, chip would have done it by now ;)

Cup In bits
It would work on a low boost turbo safely I would say but the walls are crazy thin on parts of them RS2's and would worry me, its also not really needed as the a turbo forces air in so doesn't see the restrictions of an N/A engine. It would create more lag too as its just another area that needs to be filled with air.

The sensors in the standard inlet are no issue on boosted cars so these will be no issue.

Audi A5
Their was a chap on here from Norfolk on here that attempted this, but I don't think he finished it.

This come up in convo before, the conclusion was, it's not worth it with boost, a standard mani will be just as effective.

late 2003 172cup
5y6ypuze.jpg

I had a sensor pop out when I tried 26 psi by accident! Some super glue sorted this issue. Is this the same inlet??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think it would work quite well and the quality of the carbon is very good so I think it would stand upto moderate boost ok, if you ever try and drill through it you will see what I mean.
certainly be a bonus on a turbo having easy access to the plugs as well. But all that said its a lot of money when the standard inlet will easily do 400 bhp with boost anyway and if you use a 197 one (with the head) you can get at the plugs anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It would work on a low boost turbo safely I would say but the walls are crazy thin on parts of them RS2's and would worry me, its also not really needed as the a turbo forces air in so doesn't see the restrictions of an N/A engine. It would create more lag too as its just another area that needs to be filled with air.

The sensors in the standard inlet are no issue on boosted cars so these will be no issue.

its very similar volume to an rs200 plenum, and those work very well :)

Cup In bits
Clio rs200? I'm sure it does work fine and probably less volume to fill in heinsight than the standard 1*2 inlet but my point was getting at bigger isn't always better.

Low boost applications would be fine I'd have thought, Dan's supercharged one is seeing 10psi and the sensor hasn't popped out the stock inlet, so wouldn't be any different on the rs2?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
We had a customer purchase an RS2 Inlet manifold to run boost last year from Russia, We have never run test's in house to guarantee the safe operation but the only changes made were to the M.A.P & A.I.T sensor locations, instead of being installed to the plenum chamber they were fitted to the aluminium backing plate with brackets to stop the sensors being forced out under positive pressure.

The customer has still not completed the build so I can't comment on the outcome but his reason for choosing the RS2 Inlet manifold was to be able to run a decent exhaust manifold/ Turbo set up that would otherwise be impossible with the location of the standard inlet manifold, those that have boosted the standard inlet know how tight the manifold coming from the turbo exhaust side to the cat-back/decat is.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You could even run the PMS exhaust manifold!!

For a turbo? lol

On an SC car though you could and I would expect it to work quite well TBH, although im not really sure it would make enough difference to justify the cost, but that is true of the RS2 on a boosted application too really.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah - you'd have to modify and weld quite extensively, but I bet they flow well!

If using on a turbo, there wouldnt be anything of it left as you would only use the flange and about the first 12" of pipe.

A custom manifold along similar "rams horn" lines would be one way to get a good turbo manifold sorted though.

Still cant decide if I want to do that on mine or keep the log one, I dont really want more power than it can make and they never seem to crack but it still offends me having it on my car.