ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RTS Thread: New DoW2 and New Command and Conquer

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Anyone else excited about these? I am a real RTS fan so March is gonna be GREAT heh

Dawn Of War 2 - Chaos Rising:
[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJ3lZDupjsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJ3lZDupjsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

C&C 4:
[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/enEsDEPSGjk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/enEsDEPSGjk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaos Rising is already pre-ordered for me. Loved DoW2 - even if your units did get a little uber-powerful at the end and made the finale a bit of a walk-over.

C&C3 was great too. Hopefully C&C4 will uphold the tradition. :approve:

D.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
looking forward to them for sure, supreme commander 2 was out in march aswell.... RTS Month ftw!

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5wecT6nJl5w&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5wecT6nJl5w&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Just waiting for starcraft 2 in june now :D

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YT_0IRNbN14&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YT_0IRNbN14&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Nissan 350z
I bought Supreme Commander 2 and have been playing it since Friday. Its a really solid game.

Im disappointed with Dawn of War 2. I used to spend so much time playing the original Dawn of War on multiplayer it was amazing. But DoW2 is so stripped out in comparison it just feels pointless and too bare. I think ive probably spent more time playing the campaign or last stand :(

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i always looked at do2 as a new game entirely, totallydifferent idea, i know what yo mean though, kind of miss the regular rts game, they've even changed harvesting in c&c nowadays to critical points sort of thing...

Integra Type-R DC2
Pretty much C&C since RA2 has dissapointed me. Theyve lost any of the appeal they once had.

Supcom looks good though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting viewpoints in this thread. I never really 'got' Supreme Commander and I tried - I really did. I even tried it again when I got the dual monitors, thinking that would make me like the game more with the map off to the right screen. It never did. I remember the original likes of Total Annihilation taking a looooooong time to build a unit - but SupCom was just stupid imo. I'd like to have a game in the space of an hour or two - not bloody days. Far, far, far too long to get anywhere and tactically, I found it a bit boring.

StarCraft was another that I just didn't get the vibe from. I didn't reject it straight away and put a fair amount of time into it - but again, I just didn't feel the love - lol. I guess it's no different to my view on Company of Heroes - perhaps man's most greatest achievement in recent years to the RTS genre. But even at sub<£10 for the Anthology Edition - I don't think it sold as well at it should have.

I really did like DoW2 and have big hopes for Chaos Rising. :)

D.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
DoW 2 was available for something like 4 quid the other day on offer, gutted I missed it :(

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
interesting yet again mate, i loved total anihilation just for the scope of the weaponary etc. supreme commander was as u said just waaay too long winded, especially when you could play a 3-4hour game...and lose. Vastly different to the more immediate rts games like dow and c&c.

company of heroes was epic but the expansions didn't do it for me, i was surprised it kind of finished there as i thought it had scope for a second coming or further expansion tbh.

starcraft however as with warcraft 3....in their day were epic. dont know how you missed that one tbqh!! they were the next evolution from the original c&c

heh you remember playing command and conquer and executing off the command line? then running the jurrasic park mode? long time ago, but those were the days hahah

Mito Sportiva 135
I LOVED Total Annihilation back in the day, the original Red Alert, Age of Empire series and more recently Dawn of War.

I have an average spec PC, and considering the following:

- Civilisation 5
- Dawn of War 2
- Starcraft 2
- Command and Conquer 4
- Empire Total War

What would people say is best to go for? I have always fancied a Civ game, but are they a bit overly complex?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
hate civ games, way too slow and intricate for my taste.

starcraft2, dawn of war 2 , c&c 4 require higher end machines, the others don't. depending on what you consider to be average could dictate an upgrade need.

i run a q6600@ 3.2ghz, 8g ram windows 7 64bit, 128g SSD & an ati 4870x2 and it runs all above nicely, although by todays top end hardware standard it's prob just slightly above an average machine nowadays.

Nissan 350z
Well you guys will love SupCom2 based on the above comments as its very different to SupCom. Games now take on average about 30-45mins to complete and its not as hardware hungry as its been designed to run on Xbox360.

You can also launch "half baked" unfinished Experimentals now if the need arises :D

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The Red Alert series went so off of the rails for me, it was untrue. That last one they made with stupid Russian airships and what looked like Chinese men with hats on coming out of the ground? :S I know it was never meant to be a 'serious' RTS - but it felt like playing an alternative Telly-Tubby RTS and that you had to be 5 or under to appreciate it.

I'm with Brand on the Civ games - I thought they were superb. Although I bought the original Civ, it was really Civ 2 that got me hooked. Civ 3 was a big step forward and the latest Civ 4 was epic. I used to (and still do) create a skirmish game and then give myself a random rule that I HAVE to abide by. Like protect any Jewish nation. Or attack the first nation that meets me. Or ask everyone to attack everyone else - something a little extra that adds more fun to the game.

Any of you guys tried the Heroes of Might & Magic series? Massively under-rated imo, and the Gold Edition adds the two expansion packs to HOMM5. Not a strict RTS game, nor a strategy one - it's quite a unique mix that's difficult to pigeon-hole. I made a thread about it on here last year....

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=455499&highlight=heroes

Well recommended if you can find the Gold Edition cheaply.

D.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Absolutely loving it so far, on day 15, so far, worried it's nearly over :(

on the bright side, new c&c is out tonight!!!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
dow22010-03-2010-57-22-09.jpg

dow22010-03-2010-56-28-37.jpg

dow22010-03-2010-56-41-46.jpg

Just finished Chaos Rising now. And tbh, I'm glad it's finished. :(

The level after level of just going up against the same Chaos forces was getting really tiresome. It seems so bland compared to the original DoW2 game and it seems to suffer from some appaling AI routing - where your units get stuck on a bit of scenery or enter a "after you.... no after you....please I insist, after you..." situation rather than just bloody moving from A to B.

The last level took me 81mins to complete and I'd say 35mins of that was simply hitting the end boss, then retreating to get healed. Then going back in and repeating the process. The end boss itself seem to acquire bizarre hit detection where a lone squad at distance appeared to do more damage than the whole four squads attacking at once.

Chaos Rising (imo) should have been a £9.99 expansion pack and absolutely nothing more. I paid £17.99 for it, which I can just about justify - but those paying full whack for it have just been ripped off. It uses SO much from the first DoW2 game, that I struggle to see the real 'expansion' about the game. The intro video is the same one. The squads are the same as the first game (bar one) - the squad chatter in game is the same as the first game and strangely, a lot of the weapons and upgrades from the first game seem not to be included in this one.

I'm hoping that this game is a filler - a small title to tide you over until the next proper release comes out. Otherwise, I'll be sceptical about buying the next game in the franchise.

D.