ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rub Strips?

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
Which do you think is easier and cheaper to do? Buy already painted door strips so there easier to paint or go through all the bother of preparing my plastic strips ready for spraying?
cheers ;)

Punto/Clio GTT
probably cost more to buy second hand painted ones.

easier to buy second hand painted ones.

your choice, if your s**t with paint dont bother, just buy some if you can get some.

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
probably cost more to buy second hand painted ones.

easier to buy second hand painted ones.

your choice, if your s**t with paint dont bother, just buy some if you can get some.
cheers mate, probly go for the lazy option lol

Punto/Clio GTT
tbh i dunno if renault did them colour coded from factory, if they did then maybe PM matt black as i bet he'd have some in on some write offs.

other than that i guess itd be buying second hand ones that someone else has already painted which would be hard to find really

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
tbh i dunno if renault did them colour coded from factory, if they did then maybe PM matt black as i bet he'd have some in on some write offs.

other than that i guess itd be buying second hand ones that someone else has already painted which would be hard to find really
oh in that case will have a crack at it my self, but iv heard so many different ways of preppin them for sprayin? fillers the biggest thing :S

Punto/Clio GTT
dont need to use any filler.

if they are textured theres basically 2 ways you can do it.

1: smooth the textured strips, start from like P180-P320-P800wet, then primer and paint

i really couldnt be arsed smoothing them all down like that when i did strips a few days ago so i sanded them down with P180 then P320 so they were dull, cleaned them up, and put a crap load of aerosol high build primer onto them.

leave this for a few days to dry and sink properly, if you leave it for a few hours then flat it then paint it, the lot will sink and itll just feel textured still, so leave it like 3 days.

after 3 days, sand it all down with P800-P1200wet, and add another good few coats of aerosol primer, leave that a few days, then wetflat that too with P800-P1200.

give them a good clean up, spray on your basecoat (fine coats).

you aint trying to get a finish with basecoat, your only trying to build up the colour and cover the primer.

that should be dry in an hour or so without heat, or 20 minutes with heat (airdryer/hot air gun)

then straight on top of the basecoat once its completely dry put a nice wet coat of laquer.

leave that 20 minutes or so and do another coat.

i did 3 good wet coats of laquer.

you'll probably need to polish them up as with cellulose laquer it tends to not give the shiney finish that 2k laquer does.

i wet flat the strips down with P1500 (p2000 is fine too)

and rubbed them up by hand with some G3 mopping compound.