ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rumbling noise

05 clio
Hi new to forum
I have an 05 plate 1.2 clio
it is making a loud rumbling noise from the front . it gets better when i turn left but worse on right turns
Any ideas?

cheers

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Noticeable when driving straight?

And yeah will go off when turning. Best to get it up on a ramp and spin the wheels. Should be able to hear it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah wheel bearing. Hopefully.

Get someone to check it over. Hard to really diagnose over the interwebz. That would be my first port of call

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I had something similar on my old 1.2. Was a wheel bearing as mentioned. Ended up replacing 2 of the b******s on mine, assuming they aren't as well made as the 1*2 ones.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Jack it up and give the wheel a pull, if it rocks around then that would further suggest a wheel bearing.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I have found that an alloy that hasn't had the wheel bolts fully tightened/torqued and only finger tight (so small amount of play and loosen themselves) makes the same noises as a dying wheel bearing with the change in noise when changing direction etc......

Lets just say I wont be using that garage again......idiots.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
While this is true sometimes, when my wheel bearings went on my 1.2 the wheels didn't rock when I tried that.

Oh did it not? Well if it does rock then it is definitely a wheel bearing, if it doesn't then it just could be a wheel bearing haha.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Oh did it not? Well if it does rock then it is definitely a wheel bearing, if it doesn't then it just could be a wheel bearing haha.
Yeah I think it's a case of how far gone they are, if they rock you've got a fairly urgent problem on your hands haha!