ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running costs: 172 versus 182

Clio 172 Cup
I know the 172 vs 182 debate is a whole can of worms, but I was wondering if there is any appreciable difference in running costs?

I'm looking to buy at the moment. Most of my commute is B-road and town driving, so I'm not hugely fussed about the extra motorway refinement of the 182 - if anything, I fancy something a bit more visceral - but I do cover quite a few miles, so fuel consumption and other costs are a concern. Is there much to choose between them?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Literally no difference. But as fletcher says, belt changes are cheaper on the non a/c cups. Fuel consumption may be ever so slightly better on a cup due due to being the lightest of the mk2's?

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks, so shouldn't really be a factor in the decision. I guess, if anything spending a given amount on an older 172 is more likely to get a car that's had the consumables (dampers, bushes, brake discs etc.) refreshed recently.

So, is there much difference in the handling? Being realistic, it's a daily driver which will be spend a good portion of its time stuck in traffic. I'd also like to do the occasional track day, though.

Oh, and a random question, are the clutches heavy in all of them?

E46 M3, Clio 182
Just how rare are the phase 1s? Don't think I've seen a single one for sale in the month or so I've been on the lookout...

Good examples are defiantly getting harder to find. Become a member and get into the for sale section, that's your best bet!

Clio 172 Cup
Slight change of topic now, but I think I've posted quite enough threads on here for someone who doesn't even own a Clio yet, so rather than start a new one...

I've seen a 172 Cup that needs a few cosmetic bits doing. It has 12 months MOT, but advisories include two different exhaust blows, something about the exhaust bracket being compromised and rust to the brake discs. Are any of those likely to be big/expensive jobs to put right?

Also, the car has had a few refreshed parts done including the cambelt, but these have all been done at home by the current owner. He seems to know his stuff, but there is no documented service history at all apart from a few bills for the parts he's fitted.

To be fair, the car is priced pretty keenly, but it's on the other side of the country and he's had several people come to view it already without a sale. Debating whether or not to take a punt.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
There are so many Cup's for sale it really isn't necessary to have second thoughts about one, let alone one thats miles away.

A cambelt done on the drive would raise my suspicions about the cam timing (which fyi, the F4R) is really sensitive to. Have you looked in the for sale section? The place is alive with Cups for sale.

Clio 172 Cup
A cambelt done on the drive would raise my suspicions about the cam timing (which fyi, the F4R) is really sensitive to.

Those were my concerns. I come from an engineering background, but I don't know the 172 well enough to say if the timing has been set correctly on the basis of a test drive.

That said, the car is up for £1,400. Assuming one with that [lack of] history would be worth ... what £1,900 ... in first rate mechanical condition it gives me enough money to put a few things right.

I'm considering other examples, but oddly the prices seem to be really polarised. They're either £3,000+ minters or down at this sort of price range.

Clio 172 Cup
The tax will be cheaper on the pre 2001 172 aswell

Are all the post-2001 172s/182s taxed at the same rate? I had a feeling the 182 would slip into the era where they changed the tax classes and anything with a high CO2 rating suddenly became stupidly expensive, but as far as I can see they're all £225 (post 2001)?

Clio 172 Cup
I only became a full member last month but could always see for sale?

I wasn't sure whether to admit this, but I can see the classifieds too. :D

That ph1 sounds very nice, but Carlisle is a hell of a trip from here too. Still, it would be a bit of an adventure bringing it back...

Clio 172 Cup
Aside from the cable throttle, what are the pros and cons of the phase 1? I gather they're regarded as something of a purists choice but not really looked into it as the vast majority for sale are phase 2.

I don't plan on making any money on the car, but one of the perks of a Clio - particularly a 172 - is that I can't see it losing a great deal of money over time. The phase 1s and the nicer Cups must be due to go the way of the Williams before too long.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I loved both my172 and 182 cup pack.I cant thnk of anything other than the different size in tyres but thats pence i think.

Is the exhaust a difference in price between single and twin pipe...?