ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running PC with TV

I'm shortly moving into a 1 bed flat and don't want to waste space with a Desk/PC setup.
Would connecting the PC to a modern TV and using a bluetooth mouse/keyboard and speakers be a good move?
I can see lots of advantages to running youtube/netflix etc. but are there any major downsides I'm missing?

Depends how big it is and how far away you will be sitting. On my 42 inch it's quite hard to read the text as it gets very small on the big screen. You could increase font size, but web pages will still seem smaller. Oh and you shouldn't need speakers if you have an HDMI output

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
It does somewhat depend on the above, I have a PC in the living room connected to a 50" TV and it works great tbh.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I used to use a PC connected to my TV as a media centre. It was great, worked well etc but the PC was too noisy. In the end I moved to my current set-up with my PC in the garage working as a server for Plex and my TV is a Samsung Smart with Youtube, a browser etc etc all built in.

Don't underestimate the noise coming from your PC, I fitted 'silent' parts to mine but it was still loud enough to be heard - which over time got on my nerves! So unless you can get to a PC with no moving parts, I think you'll get fed up.

Laptop seems inevitable but buying the flat is sucking up all my £££. Will likely use it as a temporary solution and an excuse to buy a nice telly first as my monitor is on its way out. It sounds like the noise of it will certainly grind my gears.

mk1 Octavia VRS
My HTPC is very very quiet. Bought a Silverstone GD05B case which has 3x 120mm fans. PSU has a 120mm fan and the CPU has a Scythe Shuriken cooler on it. The case has rubber mountings for the 3.5" HDD which helps keep it quieter. Cheap cases/PSUs generally have louder fans and won't have anti-vibration mounts for hard drives.

However, if you only need it for streaming then a tablet + chromecast is probably a nicer option.

DCi
My HTPC had a mobo with a heat sink but no processor fan

Solid state hdd

Pico psu (Google it ;))

Can't hear it at all and my ps4 gets hotter

I use it for sky go / football streaming mainly and had no problems

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I assumed the op already had a PC, hence my noise comments. Obviously he could build something silent but I was going with the idea that he was going to use his current setup.

TV + ROKU 3, Chromecast or tablet (2x iPad minis already) seem like the best solution after all.
Don't want to let go of my PC but need to compromise something. Excuse for a new laptop I guess!

Now, Alienware 15 or XPS 13, that's a whole new thread that is...