ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rust...

1.6 focus zetec....
Gave my car a good detail today and when drying the roof i found little speckles of rust on there.... Looks like a load of stones have been chucked on my roof, chipped the laquer and the paints rusting. Also got little speckles on the back window aswell but i cant see how they've got there??

Any ideas on how to sort it apart from a respray??

Cheers

1.6 focus zetec....
Haven't parked by any metal gates etc so can't really see it being that...

Whats that then rich?? I want to clay my car but have heard about it going wrong and knowing my luck it will lol

106 GTi
lol - do a search for the posts on Claying on here. As long as you use plenty of soap and water/quick detailer, the clay is warm and you make sure you always use a clean face and don't use lots of pressure you will be fine.

1.6 focus zetec....
Just gave the clay bar a go and didn't seem to move it but im not sure if i should have pressed down a little harder and used less quick detailer?!?

I rubbed the so called rust spots with my finger and nails and they go.... It seems a bit like tree sap or similar now 'cos when scratching it away it turns into all i can describe as little white bits of clay?!?

106 GTi
If your nail gets them off it is just bonded on crap, you may need a more aggressive clay to sort it, the danger is it may mark the paint in doing it and need a good polish after.

1.6 focus zetec....
Honestly not sure what it is mate...

Think its a good idea to let a pro have a go at it rich??

RS mk2 172
You mention speckles on the back window too, this makes me wonder has it been **** from welding or grinding as these will melt into the screen on landing and feel rough to the touch. Has it been in a garage recently where it may have been affected by this?

1.6 focus zetec....
Not been in any garage or by any welding from what i can remember.... im totally miffed as to what it could be... at least it comes off though