ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rusty’s Titanium 182 take 2!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Well here I am 10 days later and still alternatorless! Autodoc have said end of next week citing it’s stuck in customs…so chance I’ll get stung for duty as well maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️ Seriously guys if you need something, won’t order from these guys if your in a rush. Customs to one side they are slow as f**k.
I ordered some injectors off them years ago. Took nearly a month. First and last thing i've ever ordered off them.

ADDED - would you not be able to get a deal out of your local dealership - with you being in the trade? I can get up to 25% off stuff but generally no less than 10% which makes everything as cheap as online, plus i don't have to pay for postage.

Last edited:

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I ordered some injectors off them years ago. Took nearly a month. First and last thing i've ever ordered off them.

ADDED - would you not be able to get a deal out of your local dealership - with you being in the trade? I can get up to 25% off stuff but generally no less than 10% which makes everything as cheap as online, plus i don't have to pay for postage.
My local dealership isn’t really local anymore Jon. I’m not really trade either, to the point we won’t have a trade account. I do have friends who are retailers I could lean on, but to be honest I wasn’t expecting this kind of wait from an online supplier in this day and age. I won’t be using them again that’s for sure.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
It's not their fault, is our customs procedures that slow it down. Definatly only used them as a last resort or if they are a good chunk cheaper than anywhere else though.

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
Well here I am 10 days later and still alternatorless! Autodoc have said end of next week citing it’s stuck in customs…so chance I’ll get stung for duty as well maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️ Seriously guys if you need something, won’t order from these guys if your in a rush. Customs to one side they are slow as f**k.
Don’t beat yourself up. I ordered 2 new front calipers from autodoc for the RB and they took 2 weeks to arrive.
Trying not to order anything outside the UK from now on.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Until parcel farce send the fucker back because "we tried to deliver but you weren't in" even though you sat on the doorstep all day waiting and they just didn't bother. 😂

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Until parcel farce send the fucker back because "we tried to deliver but you weren't in" even though you sat on the doorstep all day waiting and they just didn't bother. 😂
Oh don’t say that please mate! I do get the feeling this story has a kink in the road ahead mind…it’s not over until I have the correct alternator in my grubby fat hand

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Well what a palaver that was from start to near finish….So as detailed above I ordered a new Valeo alternator from autodoc. It arrived as described in a Valeo box and was spot on.
FC721182-5035-4353-8270-D86BD4FC3F09.jpeg

Now my car is due it’s belts service (on time) however I plan to get it booked in at the end of the summer, when my wife is back from maternity leave. So as a temporary solution I fitted a new Aux belt whilst fitting the alternator…now here is where it gets fun…the new belt fitted, alternator back on. Started car and everything was cushty….that was until I turned the wheel on full lock at which point the tensioner spring rubbed the belt.
Further investigation, my smart arse (I’ll save £90) half house of a new belt and not tensioner, was a bum move. The tensioner was literally seized solid.
5067230E-5468-41C3-B78E-B57217CC8A24.jpeg
8AA6779E-3B99-4072-8BE6-C181909C3832.jpeg

Order places with RPD for a replacement Aux belt set up and today I finally got it all fitted up and working!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to mention, whilst sorting out my Alternator issues. I decided to get the car better prepared for the 300 miles round trip to CSF22. First up dropping the gear box oil, I didn’t take any pictures. But I did literally drop the oil, all over the garage floor. It stinks. Luckily the oils that. Are out the box was still a nice golden colour and no nasty metallic residue. Which leads me to believe I may have changed it before, but I’m sure I haven’t.

next up, I finally fitted an item I have had in the spares box for nearly 3 years now. A new header bottle! Coolant has been flushed through, genuine Renault type D Mountain-dew! Beautiful! Cleans up the bay no end.
EDE891B5-7A58-4BF7-A0B4-E2076ABB3E94.jpeg
0BF154C0-82E9-4083-9A83-AB22914A242F.jpeg

305C2F04-0FC3-4077-BFF5-75E48A40793C.jpeg

Next job will be an oil change I think as although I never actually drive anywhere in the clio, it’s probably due. Need to remember to order some now.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Right so with CSF fast approaching I need to get the car ready. I have quite a list and not a great deal of time as I’m off on holiday shortly! I really don’t want CSF to be it’s first drive out after doing so much major surgery…but it’s looking like it might be! First up I needed to finish off the rear seat delete. Now long term losers readers will remember I started making a false floor for the boot back in January. That’s right 6 months ago. Well I finally completed it.
I started off making some carboard templates before transferring onto so 4mm MBF board, I kept the False floor in two bits for ease of fitting and removal. One the fit was acceptable I shaped the ends to fit in with the natural floor shape a little better.
F83534FB-8AA5-45D0-897F-62850A7034F2.jpeg

I then spent a while contemplating carpet choices! In the end I opted for four way stretch carpet in anthracite as it looked best to mate the wheel tub carpet in the boot from the factory. On the roll it looked a wide choose so I fitted it. Stuff is super easy to work with, just cut and spray glue
C7AC589A-B0D2-4886-95CB-94DC83CD7A20.jpeg
239C92D0-B4A1-4583-BC85-4A5BEF6A9E31.jpeg

fitted in the car and took some photos…bugger
03069192-DC39-4AB9-A51A-B722ACEC01F4.jpeg

in the light the colour match is as bad as the front wing colour match on the outside of the car. I decided to address this by re-trimming the wheel arches with the same stretch fit carpet! It’s an absolute nightmare to do as the panels are semi ridged. But it helps overcome my annoyance around miss matching carpet. It’s also worth noting how grubby my boot carpet was
42630372-D0A5-443C-B8B7-CBCFE1087E9D.jpeg

It also gave me to opportunity to hide the rear seat hinge points
FED41612-1D80-4935-9F44-87D902317461.jpeg

So all covered and Faldo floor fitted, I went to refit my kbrace…nut something that bugs me with it, is the fact you can see the damper top mounts.
4D889715-1FBC-4C77-B5D3-F10E2E367083.jpeg
To help his that I cut down the original strut top rubbers which neatens the whole job up a treat
62B542E8-9BB5-428B-B0F3-0B4DB12C6B5A.jpeg

So all in cleaned and finished, I’m pretty bloody happy. It’s a neat set up, just need to get a boot net now that fits the area nicely as the one from my Merc is too small.
D18D8C59-D021-4CE5-A4CF-3229C290A92A.jpeg
01215A2F-90E1-4E40-BAA2-A98EC04FBC41.jpeg

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Nice work mate.i have the same problem with carpet when i done mine also.Looked spot on until i took it out in the daylight.
Exactly what happened to me mate. Got all cocky that I had nailed it. Pulled car out to wash off the dust. Looked in the boot and was like “WTF has happened, was spot on in the garage” anyway, the new boot floor really highlighted how knackered the wheel arch carpets were anyway. So I thought “balls to it” and covered them. I’ll buy a decent OE set from a breaker at some point so I have the parts to revert back to standard if I decide in the future. It looks proper clean and proper now mind

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
In the run up to CSF now, so trying to get s**t sorted before! Off on holiday shortly, which leaves me with next to no time when I get back! Panic stations!

Today I started out by trying to sort that age old 182 problem…wonky exhaust tips. Since fitting my new exhaust I struggled to get alignment with the NS tip sitting closer to the bumper cut out. I had tried previously packing the exhaust hanger out with washers. But it still looked on the piss..bit like my teeth.
A39F86E1-ABDB-454E-8E05-82B070085333.jpeg

I had a brain wave, I had an old exhaust hanger bracket, which I hacked away with the angle grinder until it was flush.
84A1BEEE-4538-4EE5-8B66-3C969D7AD296.jpeg
4B22631E-2BC6-4C6C-849C-C57AA5CCFCFD.jpeg
B8AC3342-DED5-4ABD-A271-254BA8DB7602.jpeg

pleased to say bolting this up to the underside of the bracket worked an absolute charm! Perfectly level exhaust tips…OCD satisfied
DC87F50D-EC52-4928-BC0C-6F462EA46D71.jpeg
F9345C7A-790F-44CF-9E10-B52D4867471A.jpeg
B4CD6AB4-DDC9-42E7-A727-9E225E857FE8.jpeg
B9CED7DC-2B0E-4034-B030-B77711CEF596.jpeg

Next, I decided to give the old girl her first drive out in nearly 9 months. She was completely empty of fuel so £85 of shells finest and I set out for a 2 he hoon around the Cotswolds. I have changed so much on the car this last few months, I have been panicking about actually getting to Blyton. Pleased to say the car was flawless, in fact better than ever. Tighter than a drum, the new rear beam bushes have made the car feel much more composed, so I’m guessing the old ones were goosed! Couple of pics, car was filthy….but that’s next on the list, along with an oil change, new shifter bush and replacement CV gator. Then we are ready to go.
813D91F1-5CD8-4488-86D2-F52B360333FB.jpeg
D345D5E3-CFD8-4714-871C-87DAD5F7FE6A.jpeg

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Been over a month and what’s happened? Well to be honest not a huge amount as I’ve actually been using the thing! I had been a little apprehensive of taking the old girl up to CSF as Blyton is a hell of a drive from Gloucestershire. However peer pressure and stupidity got the better of me. Before I set off I wanted to make sure the old girl had a fighting chance. I changed the gearbox oil, engine oil and filter with Proper Renault items from RPD. I also noticed the air on was no longer chucking out lovely cool air. So I dropped the car off at a mates garage, he then regassed it for me. Pleased to say there was no fault just no gas! He was also surprised how much refrigerant the little Clio took! With that all done I felt as confident as I possibly could….
8EEB666A-BD93-40DE-80AA-493C448C9973.jpeg

I’m pleased to say the car made it there and back with little drama! Bizarrely the only real victims for the weekend being the number plate light deciding it didn’t like being part of a silver s**t box any more
8DEB7BA7-8184-49E7-B1B7-7B7B6F0E35C5.jpeg
and the key battery, meaning the car was unlocked all weekend.,. Otherwise she was faultless, I’m frankly amazed and chuffed in equal doses. Whilst I’m at it I really should shout out the forum admin, mods and general membership. What an outstanding club this really is. Super friendly, accommodating and well organised place to be! Thank you!
79570E9C-432F-4D34-B514-2E14FAB96501.jpeg

Once back from CSF I set about repairing the two items of failure. Another new number plate light fitted snugly in place. I can only presume the last one was a fake as this clipped in so much nicer and a new key battery.
82E964C6-DA9B-47FC-BB32-A9EDF940C579.jpeg

Car was covered in baked on bugs and guts. No time to clean it, so placed back in its home until this weekend.

D106B3C7-50C3-4E38-9EEE-F3596F032C46.jpeg

So my mate and I decided to attend a Sunday breakfast meet with RenaultSport Wiltshire. At the Boho Bakery just outside of Stroud. It’s a fantastic little place and starting to grow its car club following. Again a great group of like minded nutters attended. I got some decent pictures taken of my car…well I like them anyway.
FB3E0210-9BCD-4B9C-B341-32AD578B5D04.jpeg
DACF2434-3EEF-4B8D-96E1-BE2181BBD00F.jpeg
82CA1D0E-5C93-4A62-88D0-E942BADE53A2.jpeg
ED5274BA-FB12-4275-BD29-075C54302943.jpeg
615BCF8F-936F-494B-9A22-5D2972F18941.jpeg

So where does that leave us, well. At Blyton Kyle very kindly took me for laps in his 172. I loved it, so as a consequence I will be making some mods to make the car suitable for track. I must stress, it won’t be a stripped out track toy. I’m not chasing lap times. However some brake upgrades, rear cage and proper seats are on the cards. Anyone fancy some trendlines?

Watch this space….thanks for reading as always

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
😂

Said no one ever!
I won’t be mate, I’m far too competitive to get involved with that kind of thing. If I get to that stage I’d get involved with racing and I’d go balls deep into it. Like I always do when there is a race involved. I just want to enjoy a couple of track days, but not at the expense of having a full track spec car. It’s almost impossible to enjoy a spirited drive on the roads nowadays anyway. So a few chilled out track days a year and the planned trip to the ring will quench my first.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I won’t be mate, I’m far too competitive to get involved with that kind of thing. If I get to that stage I’d get involved with racing and I’d go balls deep into it. Like I always do when there is a race involved. I just want to enjoy a couple of track days, but not at the expense of having a full track spec car. It’s almost impossible to enjoy a spirited drive on the roads nowadays anyway. So a few chilled out track days a year and the planned trip to the ring will quench my first.
It is very addictive. I'm certainly missing the Trackday scene too much so going to build a more capable track/road-going version for that. If you need any help, just drop me a message.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Not too much to add at the moment, well I have lots of bits to go on to the car. But lacking a bit of time at present. Took the car for its MOt today, pleased to say it passed! But barely! Car has a clean ticket other than it really struggled with the emissions test. Despite smashing its brains in on the way to the centre. I need to consider what I do next. I think the car is running rich, despite 500 mile old injectors and genuine Bosch lambdas. It’s running a sports CAT I bought used, which I guess may be isn’t sufficent. The car has not fault codes showing and a quick plug into my RS Tuner the live data looked ok. But it does smell like it’s over fuelling or running rich. In fact it smells like it’s running a decat. In an ideal world I’d buy an OE cat and be done with it, but I’m not paying £500 for a 18 year old catalytic converter….

The belts are now overdue, so I think I’ll get it booked in and get one of the proper boys to do a full work through of what may or may not be the problem.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I’ll start this post with a question….what’s the longest it’s taken someone to fit a set of seats to their Clio?? Whatever the record, I’m pretty sure I have beaten it!

So, after deciding I wanted to make the Clio a little more focussed (on what I have no idea, but it’s all @Handbag Pudding fault as usual) I purchased a pair of Recaro pole positions from @Ph1 Tom. After @Louis kindly allowed me to sit in his at CSF.

The seats and side mounts had obviously barely been used and were in great condition.
5B37CD20-5409-444F-BCC6-A3F11C4277D4.jpeg

508CD40D-C7F2-4CA5-A79A-CEF8036959EC.jpeg

Having then removed and sold my Trendlines I needed to get my s**t sorted and actually fit them. So with advice from @frayz and @Louis I set about finding the bits I needed. Now true to form I forgot to take adequate photos. But low subframes were sourced as were the side mount seat buckles from universal seat belts
72FF6964-EE44-45C0-8F79-8DA03E14F6C9.jpeg

I also purchased a pair of universal double locking runners. To my surprise it nearly all fitted together, with only needing to elongate the subframe bolts slightly. Now the reason it took me so bloody long to complete…I placed orders for bolts on 5 separate occasions. Each time falling fowl of the postal strikes! I’m a moron, very much a case of measure twice order once. Instead of hit and hope the order button…anyway, all fitted in the end.
6AE20C87-D72E-48B7-8523-C352C4B02CC1.jpeg
C9159B33-F2CD-4118-919E-C7AE74234B48.jpeg
E42B4E96-C595-423B-8AA3-5EE0CAB8F819.jpeg

To celebrate my lad an I went for a Starbucks.
8CA38206-B030-4B33-94C5-282426B82C92.jpeg

I’m pretty happy with the car now, the seats actually transform the feel of the car. I have some small bits to tidy up still in the engine bay, but likely next up will be a half cage. It will then need to get the belts done before next summer. That if the urge to buy a Porsche doesn’t consume me first…

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
What are the white stains up your front from Dave? Like the seats bit too much do we?

They look absolutely spot on btw!
I mean I could say it’s it’s because I’m in my decorating/car work clothes…which would be true as I’d been decorating in the morning then straight out on the car.

But I’ll take the spunk stains as a man being able to shoot it to him armpit at my age is pretty impressive.