ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rusty 197 / First Detail of the year (56k will crash and die)

This was going to be just a detailed thread, but as you may have guessed by the thread title, its a bit more interesting than that, but as it was going to be a detailing thread, I am going to carry on and write it as one.

So this morning I decided it was about time the Cup got some attention in the form of a good detail! This morning I was using:

_3074944.jpg

i4detailing snow foam
i4 detailing lance
Britemax Shampoo
Tropicare Mitt
Autoglym Aqua-Dry
i4detailing micro fibres
Autoglym Intensive Tar remover
Autoglym Glass Polish
Foam Applicator Pad from i4detailing (I forget which ones)
Dodo Juice Lime Prime
Dodo Juice Light Fantastic

Theres more in the picture as I intended to do more than I ended up doing but the onset of a little rain stopped play.

So before any cleaning began, the poor cup which hadn't been cleaned this year was looking like this:

_3074945.jpg

_3074946.jpg

_3074948.jpg

_3074949.jpg

So first step was the snow foam. I decided to use a stronger than normal mix as the car was quite so dirty. Pics arent great as I was a bit slow grabbing the camera.

_3074950.jpg

_3074951.jpg

_3074952.jpg

I left it for about 5 minutes to let the foam do its job and then rinsed it off suing the pressure washer. I have to say I was pretty impressed by what I was greeted with!

_3074953.jpg

_3074954.jpg

_3074955.jpg

_3074956.jpg

_3074957.jpg

Then it was on to the two bucket method using Britemax shampoo. I really love this stuff, makes cleaning the shampoo stage very easy! I decided, again, because the car was so dirty, to shampoo the car in 3 stages. First off was a quick once over, not touching the worst bits of the sills or the arches or wheels. Second go over the sills and arches, and then last another quick shampoo all over and the wheels.

Pics after first shampoo:

_3074958.jpg

_3074959.jpg

_3074960.jpg

_3074961.jpg

_3074962.jpg

_3074963.jpg

Then while doing the third round of shampoo, I did the door sills and boot. It was while doing the boot I discovered this:

_3074970.jpg

_3074971.jpg

_3074973.jpg

_3074974.jpg

Yep, thats rust. It looks as though water is getting in the boot lid and its slowly rusting from the inside out, and because the boot has drain holes its now embedded it self onto the bumper as well. No prizes for guessing who I will be on the phone to first thing Monday!

Anyway, on with the detail. After the shampoo I decided to give it a quick run over with AG Intesive tar remover where it was needed. TBH I really couldnt be bothered to spend hours getting rid of every last bit of tar, so just got rid of the worst of it. Some pics after AG tar removal:

_3074965.jpg

_3074966.jpg

_3074967.jpg

_3074968.jpg

_3074969.jpg

I then gave her another quick rinse, dried her off and got to work with Dodo Juice. Not only does the Dodo Juice Lime Prime smell fantastic, its really easy to use on a white car. Once fully dry it does dry to a white haze, but as your first applying it it does stay slightly green, making it nice an easy to see where you have put it. Once round the car putting it on using a Round Foam Applicator Pad, around again using a microfibre to remove, then apply the Dodo Juice Light Fantastic soft wax with another round applicator. I can't pass much judgement on this compared to other waxes as its the only one I have used, but it smells just like hunny, goes on easy, and comes off easy. The combination of Lime Prime and Light Fantastic also gives a much better finish the AG SRP and AG EGP but not only is the finish better, it last much longer to. Ok so its a lot more money than the AG combo, but its worth it! Especially as when I bought it I got the Lime Prime free :D I did intend to continue and SRP&EGP the wheels, but it started spitting with rain so ended play.

Final Pictures of the day:

_3074975.jpg

_3074976.jpg

_3074977.jpg

_3074978.jpg

_3074979.jpg

_3074980.jpg

_3074981.jpg

_3074982.jpg

_3074983.jpg

Comments appreciated, both on the detail and on the rust ;)

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Looks mint cleaned up that mate.

Lol at the rust, must be something up with the paint to get rust like that on a car only a few months old, despite the water getting at it.

Polo + Micra
you 100% sure that the rust isn't on top of the paint finish e.g some metal in the grime that was there has rusted

on the car i have to admit it does look good:approve::approve:

Glanza V
loving that m8 totaly transformed it bet that took a few hard hours lol quite worrieing about the rust tho:S just a quick ask what does the stickers stand for on your bonnet:eek::eek:

Tangoed Works
the car is very nice... total bummer about the rust. Hopefully they will sort it all out no question asked.

Sorry about the file sizes. Forgot to resize, have sorted them now though.

DINK: Some of the rust is on top of the paint finish, but only because it has come through the drain hole you can see in the second picture. I can inly presume its rusting inside and coming out through there.

Mark_red_clio: Bonnet stickers are same as found on the cup racers. The one that looks like electricity sign means battery cut off, the 'E' is extinguisher pull. Oh and it took about 4 hours all I think... I lost track of time tbh.

Fletcher: I'm not a fan of the black speedlines, but I have some stuff planned which should make the anthracite look more... in place ;)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry about the file sizes. Forgot to resize, have sorted them now though.

DINK: Some of the rust is on top of the paint finish, but only because it has come through the drain hole you can see in the second picture. I can inly presume its rusting inside and coming out through there.

Mark_red_clio: Bonnet stickers are same as found on the cup racers. The one that looks like electricity sign means battery cut off, the 'E' is extinguisher pull. Oh and it took about 4 hours all I think... I lost track of time tbh.

Fletcher: I'm not a fan of the black speedlines, but I have some stuff planned which should make the anthracite look more... in place ;)

Good stuff.

RS 200
Looking good stu, interesting seeing whats going on with the boot. Noticed a blemish appear on mine too, like a blister in the paint thats come up from underneath, will get it back to them soon to check it out, been abit busy this week.

Turbos.
Looks good, shame about the rust but that is what warranty is for.

Whats with the electrical cut off stickers and know actual cut off...? Weird!

White R26/Stripped Valver
I also found a few specks of rust on the underside of my bootlid aswell the other day :S

Looks good, shame about the rust but that is what warranty is for.

Whats with the electrical cut off stickers and know actual cut off...? Weird!

I intend to decal it up a bit more, make it look a bit more cup racer-esque. I got these when I saw them and put them on, and just havent been able to source the other bits I want yet.

320d
Epic car mate, love it.

That rust is truely shocking, on a year old car. I'd make renualt fully aware aswell, these days there is no excuse its not a 1993 valver ffs.

Stu, you sure that's rust on the body mate? and not some sort of debris that is rusting/eating into the paintwork?? the reason i ask is, i got this on my old car from work, shot balls from the waste plant was blowing in the wind, falling on cars then rusting/eating into the paint!!! TBH id be very surprised if it was the car/paint at fault:)

as for your work.......top dollar, wanna do a v6?!?!

Stu, you sure that's rust on the body mate? and not some sort of debris that is rusting/eating into the paintwork?? the reason i ask is, i got this on my old car from work, shot balls from the waste plant was blowing in the wind, falling on cars then rusting/eating into the paint!!! TBH id be very surprised if it was the car/paint at fault:)

as for your work.......top dollar, wanna do a v6?!?!

Pretty sure its rust mate. The marks on the bumper line up perfectly both sides with the drain holes in the boot lid. Also, they are under the boot lid, so its not stuff getting in there. TBH there was pretty much no muck where the rust marks are and if I used my boot more would have noticed it sooner, lol.

Sure I could sort something out with you for doing the Vee if you have somewhere I can do it?

Whats your plate stand for? Is it something to do with your name?

R111 = R3 as in the Rally Car, also it just kinda looked good

SWT = Snakes With Tits, or it may be my initials...

www.renparts.co.uk
you sure its not where metal filings from the manufacturing process have come out of the drain holes and rusted. Seems unlikely that its rusting from the inside out as it would be bubbling.

Polo + Micra
you sure its not where metal filings from the manufacturing process have come out of the drain holes and rusted. Seems unlikely that its rusting from the inside out as it would be bubbling.

yeah i was just thinking that lol

Suppose it could be, still f**ked my bumper though!

Titanium 182
have you tryed clay i did mine today and also had loads of these lil rust spot things and they came off after claying

I havent tried too hard to remove it as it has definately damaged the paintwork. Its quite textured where the rust is. Thought I was better making it obvious to Renault what the damage was rather than masking it and then when it goes in them saying 'Theres nothing wrong Mr. Thomas'

black ph2 172
i love your car best lookin 197 by far, every 197 needs that spoiler, just doesnt look finished without it, nice one with the detail, shame about the rust. lovely car i want one.

Very nice stu, took long enough lol ;)
I take it you got in the shed in the end :rasp:

The rust is a big of a shock, straight down to Renault brum on monday!! Bit of a surprise!

200 Gordini
Black wheels are a must on white cars imo, rust spots are shocking but still a great looking car!

I really can't imagine the rust is coming through from the inside. I'm pretty sure the closures (doors, hood, liftgate) are on the car when it's dipped and coated. There shouldn't be much in the way of bare steel inside the liftgate. Extremely rare to see that on a modern car, especially one so new.

Will have to see what Renault say, whatever it is, its come from inside the boot lid, and from what some other 197 and 225 owners have said, i'm not the only one