ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rusty rear arches - Advice

I know most valvers get the dreaded rust on the rear arches.

Just wondered if anybody knew if you can replace the rear arches to rpevent it from coming back.

Most bodyshops I have spoken to either wont rouch rust, or say "we can do it but it will come back anyway so why bother?"

Cheers

Well, im treating mine at the mo- if its in its early stages then the best thing to do is to sand down the area where there is rust until it is smooth - then get lots q-rust on the area - then fill it with some body filler, sand it again and then mask off the area surrounding it. Then prime with halfords primer, then spray with the car colour paint (again Halfords, nice and cheap and good stuff) and then laquer it. Easy peasey really and not an expensive job. Although you wont get show room results - but who cares - its better than rust and you wont notice!! Thats wot im doing anyway! :D It will take a long time for the rust to come back and in my opinion id rather do that than pay a garage to cut out the arch and weld a new one on that will only rust again.

best gettin it cut out or a new panel.... i had mine sanded down and that last year by a body shop (£100) and 6 month later it wuz coming back!! ive just had it and cut out and new plate welded in !! so far so good!!

Clio 197

yeah ive had mine cut out and welded in , cost me £250 all in for both arches, looks really good!

Focus ST

Where you get that done clio_rt, any recommendations welcome as its the first thing Im gonna get done in the summer!

Rust will always come back if you dont treat it properly.

Best way, and the way Im doing mine.. is cut both arches out, weld a new arch in (Normal Clio arch is used but cut to fit), smoothed then sprayed. Sealed underneath and if its a good job, it shouldnt come back!

Rust wont happen if theres no way in for the water, so getting it sealed and fully cut out is the only way.

Mines only surface rust one one side.. but for the extra bit more now, Ive chosen to get a new arch put on - dont want it coming back ever whilst I own it.

As for saying it will come back so why bother, well, it wont.. if they do the job properly, heh.

[Original post was something like that, heh]