ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S40 T5 sleeper project

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
So - ordered a few parts today. 2 new suspension arms (Febi/Bilstein ones), front and rear top mounts and a set of Koni STR.T dampers (orange)

Should tighten everything up nicely.

Chris

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Fitted the rear shocks yesterday (as well as replace the pads that were down to the metal)

725C6DB4-9AB5-45FC-BC0B-A1A2FDE7E1D5_zpsrsogup9x.jpg

Rear pads lasted 70k though, so can't complain really!

Monday is the big day - Front shocks, bottom arms and top mounts to go on.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I love this, makes me want to get a Volvo myself in the future. I didn't realise I could read until I found this project!

You've done really well with this, Volvo's are fantastic cars, reliable and a great project car! Definitely underrated! Subbed

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Thanks to everyone that has posted recently.

Quick update:- Fitted the front shocks, top mounts, bottom arms and drop links. Tightened it up nicely. Then it was MOT time, so a couple of Saturday's ago, I get up early (MOT was @ 9am) to change the downpipe, 30 minutes later that's done and off I go.

FAILED - but only on the headlight level being too low. A quick session with VIDA got the auto level system recalibrated (it was because of me disturbing the sensor on one of the front arms) - went back to the MOT place about 11am - passed, great.

I had no time that day to swap the downpipe back, so I left it until the following weekend. I really wish I hadn't! - in the process of removing the OE downpipe, 2 of the downpipe bolts sheared off in the turbo. Left me no choice other than to remove it.

Here's the snapped bolts
395595E2-04E1-4B64-8605-BEED4637AF34_zpsbwwtciu0.jpg

Here's how my car sat for a week whilst I had the turbo drilled and tapped
9091A7E8-2D91-4642-8AC8-79CFFE7BF0C9_zpscuturg0o.jpg

Here's the sad looking turbo
IMG_6812_zps4ym0imiu.jpg

I'm pleased to say it's all back together, VIDA was very helpful in the refit process as it gives all the torque settings. Refit took twice as long as strip down due to taking my time and torquing everything correctly (if you're gonna do a job, do it properly).

Anyway, it's back to looking it's best again so i'm happy now (well apart from the boot!)
Lolvo_zpsrnnzq7tr.jpg

Oh - lastly, i'm ready for a new set of tyres so I need to decide what i'm having this time. I've only managed 12k out of a set of Pilot Sport 3's. Torque kills tyres!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
You on 17s or 18s?

Pilot Super Sports for the 17s, PS Cup 2s for 18s.

18's mate. I'll take a look at the Cup 2's. Thinking of swapping to something more winter friendly tbh. I really struggled on the PS3's last winter.

Edit: no chance i'm paying the Cup 2 prices for tyres!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Chris have you changed the pollen filter in yours yet? I can't find the radio code in my book and want to change my filter, but unsure whether I need to unplug the battery or not.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
@Dr Jekyll I have changed it and theirs no need to disconnect the battery mate. It's inside the car, you get to it from the passenger side footwell.

I'll get you a picture if you need one?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Oh - quick repair update.

The boot lid stopped opening last Thursday evening (I was in the supermarket car park at the time, ended up having to squeeze the pushchair onto the back seat!). Decided to take a look on Saturday morning. Using VIDA I checked the switch was working - it was, next I moved onto the lock itself, which wouldn't activate.

Had to climb into the boot through the back seats, remove the panel and unbolt the lock before pulling (forcing) the boot lid open. checked for power at the lock - nothing. Traced the wires and found a broken one inside the rubber cover that goes from the car to the boot. Very odd too, it looked almost like it had been cut. No wear or anything wrong with the other wires, and the ends of the broken wire looked like they had been stripped back!

Quick bit of soldering, a short piece of wire and some heat shrink and it's good as new.

Leon Cupra 300
Just think how much money VIDA has saved you.. I've got similar BMW software, it's paid for itself many times over already.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Quick update. The PCV system decided to give up a few weeks ago, resulting in this noise. My fist thought was belt related, hence the position of the video.

All that had blown is a red rubber diaphragm that is part of the oil filter housing, but you can't buy it on its own, so £156 later a new oil filer housing was fitted and its back to life again.

Its a common fault too, very well documented on the Volvo forums. They offer a fix over in the US on cars up to 100k or 10 years, but not this side of the pond!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Righto - Volvo is dead after I had a blackout (possible cardiac arrest) at the wheel and crashed into a telegraph pole and someone's garden.

No pics of the car as I never got chance to see it, but it's a cat c.

Hoping to buy it back to salvage some parts but we'll see how that pans out.

Thanks old friend for looking after me, could have been a hell of a lot worse if I wasn't in the tank I reckon.

2014 Clio 200t edc
jesus!! thats a hell of a smash mate, glad your ok (or at least alive!!)
gutted though as it was looking awesome!!

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Unlucky that mate. But atleast your ok which is the main thing. Metal can be replaced.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Cheers guys.

No cars for me for 6 months anyway so time to think of the route to go next.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Cardiac arrest is a bit more original than oil or mud on the road.

The Volvo did its job! That's why it's my school run car.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Forgot the car, make sure you get to the bottom of what's what with you!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
They've got to the bottom of it, just awaiting surgery to have a defibrillator implanted in my chest so that if it was to happen again it will automatically shock my heart back into its proper rhythm.

Everything is just taking ages because of emergencies coming in etc.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Oh they think I've fractured my L2 vertebrae too, but they aren't worried about that as its not displaced, just regular pain killers and top ups of morphine to sort out the pain.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
They've got to the bottom of it, just awaiting surgery to have a defibrillator implanted in my chest so that if it was to happen again it will automatically shock my heart back into its proper rhythm.

Everything is just taking ages because of emergencies coming in etc.

Crumbs - well glad they know what's what - Must have been just a little terrifying!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Smashed pole, smashed wall...any marks on the volvo? ;) haha. Hope your recovery goes well and as planned.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
So here's how the car looked when I collected it from the salvage yard

19530270-A1CA-41F3-9C49-A5EDBB145545.png_zpswbmwdb92.jpg

And how it's sitting right now

CEB932CA-DF1E-4552-9B5E-59C5ADAF89F0_zpst7vrfey7.jpg

Proper bit of damage to the front wheel!

CEA6D70B-2A0A-427A-A646-9937CEF68DB6_zpsikauqvik.jpg