ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scared of going over 80 mph, after new toyo t1r tyres

172 SPORT PH2
driving back home from the gym, and there was a light bend ahead, as i trned, the whole car like did a snake move, and i thought my back end was gonna come away, these tyres are s**t, i payed 200 pound for these, and there making me not want to drive, as its really soft, and non responsive on the steering wheel

How can i improve the ability of the wheels, i was thinking front and back strut brace?

I dont want to lower my car ?

Help :(

Mate I have Toyo T1R tyres on for around 1000miles now and have found them to be superb, if anything I can be more 'reckless' than I could with my original Continentals on. Are you sure you havent got another problem, possibly worn rear shocks, maybe tracking problem?

172 SPORT PH2
ive had them on about a week now, and im unsure what pressure to put in them, the tyre fitters put 32 front 32 rear in , and i dont wanna roll my car, but i dont wanna drive over 60 now cause its too wobbly ..

How you mean scrub them in ? like wear them in ?

Focus RS mk1
i had toyo t1r,s and thought they was pretty good untill i swapped them for goodyear eagle f1s, pretty similar in the dry say the goodyears a bit better but in the wet they are worlds apart!! goodyears are so much better, i was very suprised as they are similar price too

Clio Cup,Leon 1.8T,Eunos
Did they balance them?

Check your wheel nuts too - just for sanity's sake

172 SPORT PH2
ill check my wheel nuts, but i did watch them put them on and tighten them, yea i also watched them balance them,

Its like when im driving over 60, i turn my wheel slightly and the whole car does a snake motion ... Everyone behind me prob thinks that im gonna loose it or going too fast...

So 32 front 29 rear?

Where can i find my tyre pressure guide, should i ring renault?

Check your all your shocks and springs.

Sounds a little like a problem I had with my mk2 ph1 1.6. That had 2 slightly worn rear shocks, 1 as new front shock and 1 front shock which was badly damaged due to a snapped spring. So as I turned in and the broken shock was trying to do its job, everything went to pot.

172 SPORT PH2
no lowering spings, completely standard.... standard 16 inch alloys, etc, when i check my dampers, if and what am i checking for visually ??

Also renault reccomend 33 front, 30 rear? Correct ? < psi

Clio 172
Why do u have more in front and less in rear? cos theyres more weight at front? suppose it makes sense, ive never heard of it before tho!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I would really check your dampers 1st. Sounds as though the rear is the issue, and I've been told those braces have zero effect on the rear.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Sounds like what my car felt like when the standard rear shocks went tbh, you checked them? Was dangerous to corner to hard as the car was all over the place.

The tyres are fine though, I have them and fly through corners at all speeds without an issue.

Probably worth getting someone to check it with you, no offence but it really sounds like your unsure what your actually checking.

I would be inclined to do a quick spanner check, on the rear.

Clio 172
to be honest i think my 172 handles great!! do strut braces make a notacable difference, like lowering?

RS Clio Trophy
driving back home from the gym, and there was a light bend ahead, as i trned, the whole car like did a snake move, and i thought my back end was gonna come away, these tyres are s**t, i payed 200 pound for these, and there making me not want to drive, as its really soft, and non responsive on the steering wheel

How can i improve the ability of the wheels, i was thinking front and back strut brace?

Ye i would just check everything like pressures etc, although i used to have Toyo T1R's and you couldent pay me to have them again, used to lose the back end constantly and road noise was terrible

172 SPORT PH2
rite i got the the petrol station and checked my tyres to find some idiot, put 40 psi in all 4 tyres!!!

I thought these people knew what they where doing, neway only had a brief go in it and it feel alot more stable lets say that, out 33 front, 30 rear?

172 SPORT PH2
bdw, didnt check the shocks, but i mite take it to brit tyres? apparently they offer free safety check, inspecting things like that

MK2 PH1 Valver (50% done)
rite i got the the petrol station and checked my tyres to find some idiot, put 40 psi in all 4 tyres!!!

I thought these people knew what they where doing, neway only had a brief go in it and it feel alot more stable lets say that, out 33 front, 30 rear?

40psi is a bit much, no wonder car felt odd.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't think a strut brace would do much, as this just increases ridgidity of the car, so will put more on one tire.

Also, I wouldn't really be saying I was scared of going over 80mph on a public forum when the national limit is 70 lol

I have toyo T1r's on my 182 and havent had any probs, i have them the same pressure as the handbook says! A little scary in the snow, but expected.

aero

i woodnt put toyo t1r's on a car if toyo payed me £10 by the mile for having them, anything that company makes is complete budget garbage i lmao anytime anyone from toyo sez the word "perforance" closey followed by the word "tyre"

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
So R888's are "budget garbage" then? :rolleyes:

Also running T1R's mainly becuase they are pretty decent in the dry and dont cost too much to be bothered about using on the track as well! :cool:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
remember that the tyre pressures are for when the tyres are cold, so when you got to garage and it said 40, that aint completly accurate (although i guess it is still to high?)

Get someone to check the car over, the free check sounds good but remember they want to make money out of you somehow, so be careful...