ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scenic shifter

Anyone got some advice on bending a scenic shifter shaft, ie what's a good angle and how far up should I make the bend.

Cheers

the shaft (ooo err) on my shifter already has a slight bend i reckon this will be a good bend point just below the top slider but how far???? Don't want to end up with It on top of the handbrake lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 123
Having a word with Yanoo he said bending isn't the best option and advised on shortening the main shifter-gearbox linkage. Think I'll give this a go next weekend :)

Soooo......
I gave the shaft a little bend today (gear stick that is ), haven't fitted to the car yet but it was easy enough to bend. Stick the top half in a vice with a screw through the hole to keep straight. There was a slight bend in mine already roughly where the reverse lifter wire connects so I positioned this at the edge of the vice. Slide a piece of galv steel tube on the exposed side and give it a pull. Doesn't take much to bend.
I bent it so the top is roughly 1cm back from original position, will see if it works when I get it fitted

I thought a bit off both might work, so I the stick only a tad and hopefully can adjust the linkage if it needs some extra

It's ready to go in now, doesn't look much of a bend now so if the rain stays off I'll get it in tomorrow and see how it is.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 124

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
That doesn't look more bent at all! Have you bent it the wrong way?

Look at the one on the right, thats how you want it, check out those angles!
shifter3.jpg

Last edited:

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'm currently awaiting on some parts so I can make this. It's going to consist of some metal tubing with some tapped threads.

You have to cut your linkage rod in half, then slide the two parts in this pre-bent metal tube which not only tilts it back to where you want it, but also extends the rod shortening the throw. Just need to do some calculations to determine how big this rod should be for how much reduction in throw.

The ID of the metal tube is 120mm and the OD of the original gearstick is 195mm so it will be a snug fit, coupled with the 4 grub screws holding it in, which also have nylock nuts on them to secure it.
20160519_164626.jpg

Excited to try it out, even if it doesn't work it's fun to know why/where to improve it.

That doesn't look more bent at all! Have you bent it the wrong way?

Look at the one on the right, thats how you want it, check out those angles!View attachment 156083
That's a massive different compared to mine also looks like the lower section has been extended. I Definitely went the right way but only by a little bit. Might be ok for me I have orangutan arms
Will be good to see yours working. When you say linkage rod do you mean from the gearstick to gear box?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
That's a massive different compared to mine also looks like the lower section has been extended. I Definitely went the right way but only by a little bit. Might be ok for me I have orangutan arms
Will be good to see yours working. When you say linkage rod do you mean from the gearstick to gear box?
It has mate yeah, by about 40mm I believe. If you extend that bit then it will shorten the throw because physics.

You should be okay, i've only got little T-rex arms haha

No sorry, I mean the bit that is extended on the pic you've just seen.