ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scottish Steve looking for a 197

MR2 Turbo, R6
Hi all, name is Stephen (Or Steve). I live just outside Dundee in Scotland, I'm 26 and I've always been an avid fan of Renault Sport cars. I always supported Renault in the F1 Championship (Now Lotus, so I follow them) and I am now looking to own one of the cars I've admired for years.

I've had my fair share of sporty cars, my latest being a Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo (304.2 bhp :p ) , but I have not long gotten rid of that as I need a more practical car. Practicality doesn't mean boring though, so I've been granted permission (From the boss (Other half)) to get a Clio 197. I originally wanted a Megane 265 Trophy, but it is rather out of my price range and although the Twingo 133 falls into my price range, it is too small. People have said to me, "Why not get a Subaru or an Evo?", but this is my last true chance to own a Renault Sport car and I'm going to grasp it with both hands.

So, onto actually buying the car. With a budget of around £5500 I've seen a fair amount of good 197's with decent mileage, but as I've never owned one, can anybody give me hints or tips as to what to look out for? Every car has it's own little faults and bad points that are unique to their model, so this is the information I'm after. I know what to look out for in general when it comes to cars, but is there anything more specific to keep an eye out for?

Mileage - What sort of mileage should I be aiming for? Most in my price range are around the 50-65k mark (Or up to 130k, but I'm not that silly). Is this a reasonable target? When to Cam Belts etc usually need done? With it being a sporty car I know they aren't going to have had 55000 easy miles, so the lower the mileage, the better.....usually.

The only stipulation from the missus, is that it can't be red (As her ex had a red one), so any advice, hints or tips would be much appreciated and I hope to own one of these little beast in the near future.

Thanks in advance guys and gals,

Steeev88 :cool:

Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You'll struggle to get a decent one in that budget from what I've seen. They're usually early ones, with shorted 6th gears and no options. I couldn't do with poor mpg and no options.

also, forget about mileage. Make sure they've got a decent service history and belt changes 72k or 5 years

would you not consider a decent 182 trophy for that price?

welcome btw

MR2 Turbo, R6
  Volvo S60 T5
My ones up for sale in a couple of weeks.
Ive done loads to it as I was going to keep it for a while but got myself a Megane 250 cup now.
Pm me if your interested.