ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Super Clean PH1 172 Project Thread

I also made a start on fitting the off side rear hub back onto the beam. This is taking a while as i have to clean off the powder coating in the places its not needed.

That's going to be the fun part haha.

Are the heat shield kept on with spring nuts? Mine are brittle so wouldn't risk trying to remove them. How are you going about refitting them?

What's next to be powdercoated ;)

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
And I thought mine was clean.. Jesus Christ! Your OCD is even worse than mine mate lol!

Great attention to detail.. Top job!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
That's going to be the fun part haha.

Are the heat shield kept on with spring nuts? Mine are brittle so wouldn't risk trying to remove them. How are you going about refitting them?

What's next to be powdercoated ;)

I have bought new spring nuts from Renault which are not that expensive, theres no way i would put new stuff back with rusty/broken bits anyway.

When the time comes to do the head work and cames then the engine bay bits will be getting done. :D

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Managed to spend a bit more time on the car today, sat out in the cold isnt very nice though. :(

Just been taking my time as im in no rush, car wont be used untill the winters over.

So, just finished off getting one side back together. Might get the other side done tomo. :)

20131117_140732_zpsc50710ab.jpg

20131123_123055_zpsca4b5ef0.jpg

20131123_155826_zps4ac2e442.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
HAHAHA! That's insanely clean mate. Proper attention to detail. You pleased so far?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Just love this car. Missing mine already, but loving my new one too.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Just read this from start to finish, bloody awesome mate, it's a credit to you :)

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
It's a minter, 04 plate full leather etc engine is awesome, so refined too. Will get pics up soon, all i have is this on my drive
1dc66a9810cab6cb21baf3cc9704e775_zpsc7f6f78c.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The outter bits have been powder coated mate, the main body is alloy so i just cleaned it up the best i could.

I dont want to start painting everything as it looks tacky.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Dr Jekyll i removed them and cleaned them up. I masked up the caliper piston/seal and then spray painted them with Hammetite smooth sliver.

You dont need all of this VHT/high temp paint stuff mate i have done it this way for years, even when i worked on the Astons we did it this way.

Spray it dont brush it on as the finish is loads better. My rears where done in the same way but it was only because i was doing the rear re-fresh that i got them powder coated.

Oh and when doing the fronts make sure the caliper piston is pushed all the way back and that you put some tissue in the brake pipe hole/nipple hole so the fulid dosen't affect the paint.

IMAG0982.jpg

IMAG0980.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
How the he'll did you get the Bush back in the rear beam for the roll bar?

I'm having a good time trying.

Lots of lube, lever the bar over to one side then get one side of the rubber in. The lever the bar over to the other side but this will be a bit harder as your trying to compress the rubber.

Its not to bad to do, my beam is fixed back into the car so im working up side down. I am old but quite strong so i guess that helps. :D

Looks lovely!

Cheers Tom. :approve:
Just read this from start to finish, bloody awesome mate, it's a credit to you :)

Thanks Gaz_ for taking the time to read it all and thank you very much for your comments, makes it all worth while. :cheers:

What a minter. Makes me want to do the same with mine.

Go for it mate. Thanks for the comment. :approve:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Got any coilovers yet, Scott ?

:eek:
No Rob, i haven't even finished off fitting the passenger side rear hub/disc/caliper back on the beam yet. :(

I won't be using the car in the winter months so i didn't see the point in spending £700 - 1k on coilovers for the car to just sit there and do nothing.

Christmas will kick a hole in my pocket so i will look at buying a set next year now, prob Feb/March time. :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Haven't done anything to the car and tbh im missing driving it, last time was back in September. :(

Just been on my PB account messing about with one of the pictures.

01ff20c2-c5a1-4b77-8ca6-74111922f14a_zps130d504e.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ive been tempted so many times so far mate.

I might drive up to Micks while im off and buy the BC racing coilover kit off of him.

AST's I think are over the top for my needs plus there's a wait.

I won't use the car in the bad weather though so being realistic I don't think it will be untill end of January maybe mid February.
We will have to see how bad the winters going to be though.

Ph1 track car, Dci
Silver on silver f1s looks so good, think i might just do my track f1s silver again!

I know how you feel mine is also sorn, the temptation to get it back on the road when theres a nice day is huge, but we are due bad weather and the salt is never good. Im going to hold out till feb i think.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
credit to you!
i seem to have completely fallen out with cars in recent months.

not got time for them at all. hopefully next spring i can get back into it and spend a bit of money putting the clio right!
it makes me depressed thinking of the things i want to to do to it.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
when are you fitting the 421's?

Hmm not to sure mate, its not just going to be a case of fitting the cams.
I want to take the head off and send it away to be ported along with fitting a set of Supertec valves.

I thought it might be best to do it over the christmas hols/in the winter weather before i want to use the car again but as i still havent got any coilovers and the misses has said one job at a time. :(
Ive also got the 182 exhaust manifold and de cat to fit. :D

credit to you!
i seem to have completely fallen out with cars in recent months.

not got time for them at all. hopefully next spring i can get back into it and spend a bit of money putting the clio right!
it makes me depressed thinking of the things i want to to do to it.

Cheers mate, i kind of have to. Think its because ive not driven it in months and its just sat on the drive with no coilovers under the cover.
Come the sunshine ill be mad for it again, if not then it might be sold and a Scooby become its replacment. :approve:

The list is never ending Michael.

Yeah bloody things.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Didn't know you was going decat Scott. You going P&B's still?

Yes mate i have the Ktec de cat, the one that fits the 182 manifold to 172 system. :D

I heard -J- cup at the Ace cafe with the same set up and it sounded. OMG!!

P&B's youv'e lost me mate, im thick. :(

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Little up date.

I sent the exhaust heat shilds away to be powder coated over a month ago as they where looking a little tired, got a phone call from them yesterday saying that my bits where ready for collection.
I also bought a spare gearbox/battery tray brakets from Chris @ Detail me so i could send them away to be done.

Before.

20131111_103533_zpse3e283db.jpg

After.

20131224_122152_zpsbedb2e43.jpg

20131224_122041_zps4742d391.jpg

20131224_121438_zps47a5ad21.jpg

20131224_121405_zpse851671b.jpg

20131224_115949_zps749b68ac.jpg

20131224_120007_zpsce53008d.jpg

Just need to find some time/better weather so that i can fit them back to the car.