ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seriously lumpy running, strong fuel smell & 1 undriveable 182!

Clio 197
Well following on from this thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?703938-182-blowing-exhaust-or-is-it

I decided to re-check for blows around the cat area - I revved the car whilst stationary to 6K+ rpm listening for increased noise anything visual in either of the cat joins, as i did the car then nearly stalled , made a funny smell and ran as lumpy as hell when the revs had recovered.

So i switched the car off and removed the inlet plenum and checked the plugs were secure and tight (they were).

I refitted the inlet and it is still running like a bag of s**t, it sounds as though there is a tapping / blowing inside the inlet plenum which makes me think either the rubber seal or the gasket could be at fault, visually they both look fine to me but then i am no expert. Pics below

inlet plenum rubber seal - how does this look?
87FCF8B6-53C1-49F2-939D-1FA9E76488F5-4575-00000398B940EEE5_zpsa36a4bfd.gif

inlet plenum gasket
129F90AF-FA79-4AA1-A467-B42838052BF0-4575-00000398A556DDD5_zpse1c2e3d3.gif

Now whilst having a check around i did notice that one bolt at the rear of the inlet plenum was missing - could this cause an issue? pic below was taken when it had just been replaced for the picture hence why its not aligned to the hole.

7CB64903-B6CC-4DBE-84E7-50FC4A8595E5-4575-00000398C0346D01_zps7e3498a2.gif

I had my cheap code reader on it, 1 fault stored but it was coming back as N/A - helpful!

Here is a video of how it is currently running - there is a strong fuel smell and its really struggling:dapprove:

th_AF5B49D9-0F75-4BBE-A5CF-A2B6ABCFAE84-4543-00000395AD055F7C_zps03d75e2e.gif

Coilpack? Inlet plenum seal, Inlet plenum gasket?What else should i check?

Any help much appreciated!;)

04 Clio 172, Meg 250
Try swapping your lambda sensors over or check your injectors by unplugging them one at a time and see if the engine noise changes when you unplug them. If it doesn't its narrowed down to something on that cylinder that isn't working properly. Plug, Lead, Injector or coil pack.

Clio 197
Gaz - yes the pipe is connected at both ends.

Had the plugs out for a visual check and clean , also cleaned the throttle body area for good measure. Refitted and after a little persuasion it started, and was idling and revving clean (the noise around the inlet is still there). So I left it idling for 5 mins and all was ok.

Turned it off and now it won't restart, there is a ticking type noise coming from the passenger headlight along with some weird smelling vapour.

I had a new coilpack lying around so tried that, no difference, it's still not sparking.

A4LLY - I haven't tried disconnecting the injectors yet , is it still worth a try given the new info above ?

Clio 197
I have checked all fuses , there is a spark and all plugs are in working order.

I even borrowed plugs and leads from my mates working 182 fitted them to mine and it made no difference.

When i took the plugs out and they were damp and it didnt smell like petrol. I removed the throttle body and there was residue left over from the carb cleaner I used yesterday. Rather than removing the TB when cleaning I sprayed it inside whilst insitu - I now think this is the cause of my issues as to why it won't start. Not sure why it started and ran yesterday though when I had just sprayed it inside and won't start now.

What's the best way to clean it out from inside the inlet and wherever else it may be ...... am I better removing the plugs and letting it evaporate?
I have tried starting the car with full throttle as I have read it stops any fuel being supplied by the injectors but with no luck ... How long should I leave it before trying again ?

Any help appreciated !

Clio 197
Just to add I have removed the TB and cleaned this up, also inside the inlet as far as I can get the rag. How do I remove any carb cleaner from the chambers? Would removing the plugs and turning it over help?

I have disconnected the air box elbow from the airbox in an attempt to allow the engine to suck in clean air , however it is pumping coloured smoke out of the elbow when cranking.

04 Clio 172, Meg 250
I'm not sure about the coloured smoke. Can't say I've heard of that before sorry...

Clio 197
Still not starting.

Had the rac out, he confirmed the spark and injectors are fine, checked all fuses and relays and plugged it in to the diag machine to find no faults.

He said it is firing but at the incorrect time which is causing it to blow back into the inlet. (Which is the coloured smoke)

He said it could be a possible crank position sensor issue (but no fault stored as its functioning but just not at the correct time) or the belt has jumped a tooth.

I will look at cleaning the crank sensor and may have to admit defeat and get it towed to a garage.

Any suggestions ? :)

Clio 197
So tonight i removed and cleaned the crank sensor which made no difference, its still not starting.

My neighbour mechanic also took a look and said it sounds like the timing is out, he gave me a number of a local garage that is clued up on Renaults (I will be checking he has the correct locking tool etc before i let him loose on checking my timing!).

Clutching at straws here, but i wanted to double - double check that the coilpack to cylinder order i have below is correct;

[------Coilpack---------]
3 4
2 1

[------Engine-----------]
[cambelt end] 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 [battery end]

I have connected as follows;
No. 1 on the coilpack to No 1 cylinder (as per my numbering above)
No. 2 on the coilpack to No 2 cylinder (as per my numbering above)
No. 3 on the coilpack to No 3 cylinder (as per my numbering above)
No. 4 on the coilpack to No 4 cylinder (as per my numbering above)

Clio 197
Just had an update from the garage, exhaust cam has slipped (cam bolt not torqued correctly when the belts where done) knocking the timing out.

Faced with a big bill for cambelt and 2x new pullys, sounds like whoever did the belts in the past made a right bodge of it. Going to look at it later tonight to check it out and decide what to do. According to the cambelt reciept the dephaser was replaced with cambelt - not too sure whether to believe - is there anything visual i can check on the dephaser?

Renault Clio 197
Hi mate, I know this was quite a while ago now but my 197 is doing the same things. Once they changed belt ect did that sort it out or was there more issues thanks