ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SERV & ESP light question

Hope someone can help.

I've had problems with the above lights flashing on start up and coming on permanently.

Its been in to Renault on numerous occasions, had sensors replaced etc, the latest of which was a complete dash out and wiring fault fix.

Apart from the fact the dash trim is sctatched, theres hose piping sitting in the passenger foot well (which i assume should be in the car somewhere) and i cant select the CD changer from the headunit, im not particularly happy!!!

The RTE i spoke to said that its normal for the lights (SERV and ESP) to flash up on start up (after all lights have gone out), he said it was a systems check.
My response was why dont all the other lights flash on then off to show a systems check.

So, are Renault lying to me ??

Any help much appreciated as i want to armed with as much info as possible when i go see them.

Not sure if the above is particularly clear, bit of a rant!
Basically just want to know if the Serv light and any other light flashing up on start up is normal and can be described as a systems check.

I thought that if they flashed up it meant there is a potential problem and if they are on all the time the car needs fixing asap.

Thanks

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
They flash on my 172FF, however my T/C is Fooked!
So every now and again I will have Serv + esp light on.

To skint to get diagnostic a check.

GDI in peterborough said they would check it for
me £15 but I cant even afford that!

I have to chose between food or car!

Da

Less
There is no systems check as such on start up, only a lamp check. The fault is more likely to be the brake pedal switch. Do a search it's fairly common and Renault should be aware of it! Mine was sorted in 10 mins under warranty!

Black Gold 55 182 2 cups
Serv light used to go on all the time on my Meg and this was due to a wiring loom next to the floor where the seat rails slide back and forward.

Not looked to see if it is the same on the 182, but this could be the problem as moving the seat used to make it loose. Think the loom used to be for pass air nag IIRC!!

Daz, i've had the break pedal switch changed, some other switch in the steering column and another sensor somewhere. All of this was done prior to Renault doing a diagnostic. Once this had been done, it looked like a wiring fault which resulted in them taking the dash out. This was done and they had the car two weeks.

However the lights are still flashing up, and after approx 8 months and 7 trips to Renault Coulsdon im getting a bit frustrated. It seems like they have no idea what is wrong and are just BS'in me to get rid of the problem. The car is fine and runs perfectly.
Thanks so far, any more ideas??

Can someone please confirm the following:

When you start up you turn the key once which puts all the lights on, you wait till these have gone out then turn they key again to start. At this point the Serv and ESP lights flash - Is this normal (systems check)? Or is there something wrong with the car?

Renault are saying its normal, but im sure it never used to do this. My memory isn't great although it shows how long ive had this problem!!

Clown Car
^ I think that is normal as i have just checked mine and it does the same, it also flashes up the ABS light, Renault could be right in that it is doing a self check, the lights flash up briefly as you turn the key to the start posistion, i tried it several times and the first time i tried it, the lights stayed on a fraction longer.

In your first post you say the lights came on permanently, was that just after starting or was that while driving, if it was while driving it was most likely the brake switch, which sounds as if the dealer has fixed as you have been into the dealer a few times since.

As long as the lights come on with the ignition, then go out, and do not come on while driving, i would not worry about it.

^Brilliant, thanks very much Mark.

Yeah lights do not come on permanently whilst driving, well they havent for a couple of months!

I just thought it was strange how none of the other lights came up.