ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

service light/ airbag light

clio 172
my service light and airbag light came on earlier then went off after a couple of mins an then came back on, its still doing this? apologies if thread already exists had a look but couldnt find one. any help appreciated :(

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Most likely cause is the wiring under the seats... could be anything though really and to get an accurate answer to your question it'll need diagnostics

Mick

my service light and airbag light came on earlier then went off after a couple of mins an then came back on, its still doing this? apologies if thread already exists had a look but couldnt find one. any help appreciated :(

Same with mine, apparently disconnecting the wires under the seats then re-connecting them stops, but I couldn't do it.....

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Just be carefull doing it please - SRS scares the s**t out of me still yet some of you seem to have no fear and just go ripping things out. #ignoranceisbliss

clio 172
ill have a look tmrw then to make sure nothing obvious is wrong, loose connectors etc. If not then itll be a garage job thank you for the help mick

FF Racing Blue 182
i know this is no help to you but mine does it abs serv and esp all come on only happens if in town foot on brake quite a lot ive seen it go weeks and not happen to pretty weird

there could be loads of issues that can cause it do a search

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Just be carefull doing it please - SRS scares the s**t out of me still yet some of you seem to have no fear and just go ripping things out. #ignoranceisbliss

There really is nothing to worry about, this rubbish of disconnecting the battery for 10 mins & so forth, before commencing work to the SRS system, however, there are a few precautions to observe, common sense really, when for instance unplugging or plugging in an airbag, wether it be the seat ones, dash, side, always make sure the ignition is completley switched off. Also when snipping SRS wires to do away with the plug, remember again, ignition off, & always snip the wires individually, dont cut the two wires together as your cutters will could conduct across the two & could set a bag off if you happened to leave the ignition on!!!!

Its all controlled by the Airbag ECU, & the signals it recieves from the impact sensors, in my opinion there quite safe to work on with common sense :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep I totally agree but then again common sense is, ironically, not very common is it.

Take for example the person on this very site that took it upon himself to fit some resistors to the steering wheel airbag circuit so he could fit an aftermarket wheel. Took the wheel off, fitted his new one and then fitted some eBay resistors of unknown resistance and turned the key. Seeing the warning lights were still on he obviously thought "bad connection" and gave em all a wiggle. Then when he got a slight shock and saw smoke coming from the connector didn't think anything of it but really he got lucky as that was obviously the SRS triggers firing and it could've set off pre-tensioners, lateral/curtain bags or even the passenger unit (which on cars like the Clio III and Megane II are part of the dash carcass and not simple swap out units like they are on the early X65). Its not all scare mongering and you have to remember that not everyone has the same common sense or technical ability as you may have even when following instructions and even if you're not doing the work yourself a decent person should take some responsibility for the instruction they give others.

If you're the type of person that encourages non-trained personnel working on an SRS system that doesn't fully understand them, there trigger mechanisms or taking precautions such as inserting the diagnostic command that acts as an "electrical safety pin" on the trigger lines then that's your call but I'd sooner state the obvious no matter how stupid it may sound rather than write-off their car when a dash becomes scrap or causes them an injury because a curtain bag smacks them in the side of the head at point blank.

I know, I'm being overly dramatic even if it is like in the case above and it was their stupidity that caused it but someone made an unsuitably qualified person think they could do what we'd all a simple job and they got quite lucky IMO.

Anyway... Time for beer!