ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sheared a bolt on my alloy?

Trophy #387
I've got TD alloys with 4 bolts, and on my right rear i've lost both the centre cap and it looks like one of the bolts has been sheared quite deep inside... I have no idea how this could have happened, there is not a scratch on the alloy so it's not like i've smashed a kerb or anything, but it's pretty worrying and no doubt gonna cause me some problems!

Could this potentially cause problems to me when driving and is it safe? Obviously all the other 3 bolts are tight and fine, so I think it'll be ok, but i'm not 100% sure.. and also, any ideas how this could have happened?

Cheers, Jonny

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
should be ok with 3, i drove my old car for a while with 3! i would drill the rest of the bolt out and then stick a new one in, old pold wouldnt be to happy if he spotted u with only 3 wheel nuts!!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
This happened to me, 2 bolts sheared and one fell out, almost shat myself!

I put it down to drains (depressed?) into the road... Needed a new hub. Iirc it was a cheap fix

Trophy #387
should be ok with 3, i drove my old car for a while with 3! i would drill the rest of the bolt out and then stick a new one in, old pold wouldnt be to happy if he spotted u with only 3 wheel nuts!!

nice one mate... I'll get the garage to look at it this week! Yeh they'd go mad! Thanks

This happened to me, 2 bolts sheared and one fell out, almost shat myself!

I put it down to drains (depressed?) into the road... Needed a new hub. Iirc it was a cheap fix

Hmm, could be... With the size of the bolts though I imagine it'd need to be a pretty big impact, maybe I smashed a pothole and that caused the centre cap to come off and the bolt to shear! Hopefully it is cheap, skint atm!

"Navy" N17 TWO
This happened me once on the n/s/f and had a mate rethreaded the hub for me for a few beer tokens - how he got the bolt out is beyond me though.

All because I go to the bother of "checking my bolts" after being at a tyre place or a garage.
Hate bolts being put on with air guns! :mad:

ITB'd MK1
sheared bolts are down to over tightening, end of story

Had some tyres fitted a few months back and asked the fitter what he was doing my front bolts up to. 130Nm apparently. No you're bloody not!!!!!!

Trophy #387
Alright danny cheers mate.. I can't actually remember when I last had the wheels off but i dont think i could have over tightened them by hand! Must mean that the garage has done it, will look out for it in future

clio mk1 RSI
Alright danny cheers mate.. I can't actually remember when I last had the wheels off but i dont think i could have over tightened them by hand!
Must mean that the garage has done it, will look out for it in future
most of them are over tighted by hand see this all the time, people who can't be arsed to use a torque wrench or say its better if there tighter piss me right off.

Jap Box
Im lucky this didnt happen to me, took my car into the garage last week and undoing the bolts they told me they have never had a car in hats had them put on so tight and that im very luck nothing sheared at all.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
your starting to annoy me now go to the second link you sent and look at the 2nd post down, then apologize

3rd post down:

"I use 100nm of torque for the main wheel nuts and 90nm on the locking nuts as recommended by a certain Mr Fish."

Do you know who Mark Fish is?

clio mk1 RSI
NO I dont is he your boyfriend,I dont give a flying fart who he is, I can name drop people to who would agree with me and they would wipe their arse with him

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I'm homosexual am I? Okay, so first in another thread you call me racist (which I wasn't, categorically) then you suggest I may be homosexual as if there would be something wrong with that if I was.

Who's breaking rules now? I'm confused by your reaction and attitude. Over 100nm on alloys wheels is madness, you will break something.

clio mk1 RSI
I said 100nm not over it and I didnt say there was anything wrong with being gay, thats you implying things again

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Thought I was on the ignore list?

Oh if there is nothing wrong with being homosexual then why did you imply I was?