ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sheared Sump bolt

eunos roadster mk1
Like an absolute cnut i've managed to shear the sump nut itself. So now it's stuck and slowly seeping oil. Is this in any way fixable? Or is it time to take it to the professionals?

Trophy Turbo :)
as in the sump plug or the small sump bolts holding it to the car?

If its the sump plug you could try some PTFE tape on the threads until you can get a new sump. as a TEMP repair

Trophy Turbo :)
Hard to say, did the plug look damaged? I wouldn't take any chance on that in case if falls out a new sump isn't as bad as it may sound

Andy

eunos roadster mk1
Yeah it's pretty damaged
image_1363198281892632.jpg
Still stuck fast so don't think it will fall out. Is the sump itself difficult to remove?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Sometimes you are lucky as the thread is not tight in the sump.
I would get a drill bit in a drill and put it into reverse, this may turn the broken off bit out far enough so that you can grab hold of the thread and remove the broken bit.

Scott

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Or you can use a big flat headed screw driver and turn it as if you was un doing, this might also work.

The head of the screw driver might pick up of the sharp broken bits thats left of the thread.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Anything you can un-do it with as the plug should not be tight, you wind them in by hand after all and its only the nut/flange part that makes it tight.

Might even be able to turn it by the tip of you finger, bit by bit...