ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

shift light

Lots of Alfas
Renault describe it as the "optimum gear change indicator".

Renault specced it as being in all cars but it seems to be mainly the earlier ones and the odd random later car. My 2000X reg has it.

Si

RS Clio 172
i have this in my 53 plate 172. A friend has it in his 182 cup also. 05 plate iirc.

Lots of Alfas
Do they? Where do they say this?

I think you'll find Renault describe it as "Over-revving warning light - Indicates that you need to change gear".

This is from the Renault mk2ph1 brochure which includes rs models, it also says it in the 172 exclusive (although I dont think any of them had it!!!) brochure and the 172mk1 press release. It reads "White instrument dials with renaultsport logo and optimum gear-change indicator".

172 Cup
This is from the Renault mk2ph1 brochure which includes rs models, it also says it in the 172 exclusive (although I dont think any of them had it!!!) brochure and the 172mk1 press release. It reads "White instrument dials with renaultsport logo and optimum gear-change indicator".

lol typical Renault contradicting themselves..

Reminds me of the 172 Cup brochure that promised official Renaultsport upgrades which would be made available for the Cup. None of which every saw the light of day.

Bumder With A Buffer
Do they? Where do they say this?

I think you'll find Renault describe it as "Over-revving warning light - Indicates that you need to change gear".

I swear it says it in the handbook somewhere too... either that or I read some bulls**t on here from someone! :)

Pardon my ignorance, but surely if it was a warning light, the light itself would have been orange?

Lots of Alfas
Pardon my ignorance, but surely if it was a warning light, the light itself would have been orange?

Its not a warning light as such, just a information light or the engine saying "ouch".. It can be handy when your accelerating hard but have to concentrate purely on the road, when you catch the light in the bottom of your eye you know you can change gear without watching the rev dial. I beleive it lights 300rpm before what ever limit is set on it in that gear.

Focus RS Mk1
ok come on then, who had their "shift light/optimum change, over rev light" stay on in 5th gear?

Clio Sport 182
Dont think it comes on in 5th, the speed limits before it gets into those high revs. I read that somewhere :)

If it's a warning light then why can you increase the rev limit with the rstuner? Would this not be damaging to the engine?

Ph1
Its a shift light really. Works in exactly the same way and same principle.

Probably the only reason Renault called it a ''optimum gear-change indicator'' was to be PC

I wasnt blessed with a optimum gear-change indicator lol so installed a Omex shift light. Would highly recommend it

thats what i mean, when remapped the limiters raised more anyway?

Dont think it comes on in 5th, the speed limits before it gets into those high revs. I read that somewhere :)

If it's a warning light then why can you increase the rev limit with the rstuner? Would this not be damaging to the engine?
it can poentially yes but hey its your own warently rs tunner won't pay out if you blow the engine up ill they its your car and your warently

'92 172, Lotus Elise
from: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3596265&postcount=27

oooooooo.jpg

also, pin 65 on the ecu is meant to control it:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z18/Matteh449/F4R/172ECU.jpg

does anyone have the details of how the circuit works? my ecu just seems to output 2-3V constantly :/

PH1 172 Sport
I know what you mean, it also says on one page that the 172mk1 has heaters in the back!!

Mine has them if your talking about the ones that come out from under the front seats. Ive read somewhere on here that no-ones ever seen a car with them?

Lots of Alfas
Ive seen a high spec etoile with them, it also had passenger lights in the rear and lights in the doors. Can you take a pic of them, are they just heating ducts?

PH1 172 Sport
Yeah there just ducts under the seats they come out from under the carpet. I'll try get some pics tomorrow if I remember.