ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shock question

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Am i rite in thinking the only difference between a 172 cup shock and a ff 172 shock is the distance between the bolts that bolt it to the hub?

Can someone please explain as ive never been 100% sure?

On the front ones yeah there a bolt spacing difference i think.

But the rears are they same :)

When i bought two new rear shocks from Renault in Aberdeen as one rear one had went(it was leaking oil) the parts guy said the 172ff and 172 cup shock were the same.

The part numbers were the same on his computer.

I never beleived him so popped my head over counter for a quick look at his screen :)

And he was right enough.

So the fronts are maybe the same shocker too just with holes slightly different places to call them cup dampers ;)

What makes you ask ?

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
isnt it the offset of the wheels thats different on the cup?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i was under the impression that the 172 cup had slightly stiffer dampers on it, i changed all of mine for brand new genuine cup dampers (using the reg plate for a cup) when mine were feeling a bit worn. but i was sure they were different (cost similar) which is why i went for them over the normal 172 ones as it wasnt any more money!