ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Single throttle body

Half stripped mk2 172
I have a question which may sound a bit daft, people tend to go for itb's, but what if i cant stretch that far and go for a single throttle body, say a jenvey 70mm body? On their website it says its only 252 quid and you can easily match it to your existing manifold.

Vince

It is a cable throttle so unless you have a ph1 172 you will need an OMEX or other standalone ECU.

You wont make any power from it.

If you wait a few months (rough time scale ;) ) BenR is developeing a new inlet manifold that will be a cheaper option and uses the stanard TB.

Lionel Richie
you won't really see any power gains off the Jenvey ETCC, we developed it because the FBW unit is a bit crap, much better throttle response with the ETCC unit

but we have a few more further development we'll be realeasing over the next few months

Fred2001Dynamic said:
you won't really see any power gains off the Jenvey ETCC, we developed it because the FBW unit is a bit crap, much better throttle response with the ETCC unit

Definately a much better setup but you could use a 172 ph1 cable TB for the same result at a fraction of the cost

Fred2001Dynamic said:
but we have a few more further development we'll be realeasing over the next few months

are they secret?

Burbler
GDI 182 uses a single 70mm jenvey doesn't it? have you read March/April issue of Performance Gti? theres a feature in there with the GDI car and a mk2 172 on itb's. The GDI wasn't that much down on power, and the writer prefered it

Flamered12 said:
GDI 182 uses a single 70mm jenvey doesn't it? have you read March/April issue of Performance Gti? theres a feature in there with the GDI car and a mk2 172 on itb's. The GDI wasn't that much down on power, and the writer prefered it

It is what the GDI demo car uses.

My car has a very similar engine setup to Andys car but I still wouldnt say no to throttle bodies. Worth another 15bhp + over the standard manifold which is a big gain on these engines. They also sound the dogs bollox apparently.

Unfortunately you need to lose your air con to get the best out of them.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Sorry to hijack the thread a little. When i'm back in the UK i'm planning on buying the throttlebody conversion with the trumpets as seen on GDI and yozza circa 3700+.
Is it worth me getting it or wait and see what other mods are coming out next few months?
Don't fancy loosing my AC though...
John

Dubai182 said:
Sorry to hijack the thread a little. When i'm back in the UK i'm planning on buying the throttlebody conversion with the trumpets as seen on GDI and yozza circa 3700+.
Is it worth me getting it or wait and see what other mods are coming out next few months?
Don't fancy loosing my AC though...
John

I would say wait a few months.

If other options have not been sorted by the autumn/winter I may lose my air con and go for full TB's.

I think it will be worth the wait though.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
coupled with what other alterations .. ?

You can push 220bhp on a single Mk1 172 TB if you do enough the manifold and head (plus the usual.. cams, injectors, exhaust etc)

on its own ..... bugger all.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
That sounds fiddly ... have you built one on a car with the aircon system ? I presume it would increase costs somewhat.

Lionel Richie
£200 give or take for a replacement pipe to be made up (helps when your mate installs aircon to cars for a living!)

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
its not just the pipes, that can be easily move / swapped (ben did it on a 172 last year like that) without having to replace the air con pipe.

there is clearance problems with the length of the intake and the air filter etc if you keep the air con rad in place....

there is more to it that it seems.

Lionel Richie
Roamers was fine, only thing needed doing on that was the new pipe

90mm trumpets IIRC with a 25mm spacer too

I did it with the original pipe and things would of been perfectly fine keeping the aircon if the guy plumped for a custom rad.

If you dont run a custom rad then you loose alot of space, gain ALOT of induction heat (i was measuring about 80 deg at some points), but you also loose alot in terms of induction length and torque which goes with it.

Running ITB's with aircon is fine, but costs are slightly higher for the larger amount of modifications required to 'fit'.