ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Skid pan experience feedback- Thinking Thruxton or Essex?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Always fancied learning a bit more about car control, so a skid pan experience seems a way forward (After i spun out at Brands recently- wet i may add)
Anyone done one, and what does it entail?
See that most have a full car of learners, or at least a passenger, then not sure if the driving takes place on wet tarmac, or one of those wheel rack things which reduce the weight on the wheels to create a skid

They all seem fairly short at 1hr, or 1 and a half, and look like done at low speed round 10mph.
Is it worth it?

Looks like for another £40 you can use your own car?

I would check out what you could hit if you use your own car lol

I'd also invest in some cheap ditchfinders on steel wheels, so they are low grip and you can bin them if the surface is really rough (rather than ripping a set of Goodyear F1s to shreds, for example.)

I've seen the cradle ones on the interweb and they clearly must be alright, but I think I'd prefer ones where you are actually touching the road properly - I just can't believe that the cradles create a 'natural' feeling through the wheel/seat! (No experience to back this viewpoint up, naturally :wink: haha)

As this is CS and we are all Ballers, why not hire MIRA Wet Handling facilities out for the day and book Kimi Raikkonen for some tuition? :tongueout:

Anyone done one, and what does it entail?
See that most have a full car of learners, or at least a passenger, then not sure if the driving takes place on wet tarmac, or one of those wheel rack things which reduce the weight on the wheels to create a skid
They all seem fairly short at 1hr, or 1 and a half, and look like done at low speed round 10mph.
Is it worth it?

I've done one of the wheel rack ones and would recommend it to anyone. Was just me and the instructor and lasted for about 1 and a half hours. started of with a very quick classroom talk (10mins) about different skids and what causes them then in the car for the rest of it where they can simulate front, rear or all 4 wheel skids.