ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slow Laptop can any one help

Trophy Turbo :)
Hi Guys.

My wife got me a HP Envy Dv7 Laptop for Xmas, with Beats Audio. and i am very very disapointed in how slow the thing is and how oftern the thing freezes.

It has 8Gb Ram
Intel Core i7 2.4Ghz
1TB HDD
Windows 8

can any one help me, i have Office Installed and thats about it, i tend not to use it as it takes that long to load things up. My Laptop tht i got 10 Years back with XP on is 100% faster than this thing

Andy

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Remove bloatware. Remove Norton. Job done.

ps. the HP Envy series is a really good range of laptops. Really it shouldn't be going slow out of the box tbh.

FF Clio 182
Remove windows 8 and install 7! Job done. But like people said it more than likely full of bloat ware, go through uninstalling stuff you never use.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Bought a new PC for the office and it has an SSD hard drive, wow I love it, best invention since.. It's really good..:eek:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Windows 8 is painful, I had to install some sort 3rd party dodgy software to give it a proper functioning start bar and bypass that BS window at the start. Mental.

I'd personally install windows 7.

09Accord 2.4 3.0i Z4
Yeah its a HP, Its full of crap, uninstall it all, as someone mentioned, msconfig and stop other crap that doesn't need starting on startup.

If it has god awful Norton on it, remove asap, It just kills the performance of any machine and replace with another AV such as avast or what ever you prefer.

Scirocco GT 2.0
As others have said, remove all of the out of box bloatware installed on the laptop and and I would personally recommend removing all anti-virus software and just use the new Windows Defender (update it if necessary) which comes with Windows 8. It is installed as default and very good at working with the other security features in W8 like Windows Firewall. Windows Defender is very similar to Microsoft Forefront Protection which we use at work as our AV with no problems in the past 2 years of using it. Plus I use W8 with Windows Defender on my personal PC without a hitch for the past 7 months or so.

Also, see what programs are running at startup (which iirc is now located on Task Manager on W8) and disable any programs which you don't need.

May also be good to run CCleaner after doing all that to remove any remnants of unneeded data. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Hope that helps