ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SLR camera??

Dyson
Some advice needed.

I've got a 6m pixel digital sony camera at the moment and i want to get into the world of SLR.

I've no idea what to go for to get betting pictures.

Don't want to spend lots of doh.

Any ideas people??:D

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Post up some examples of pictures you've taken.

A decent camera doesn't necessarily mean you'll take better pictures.

Dyson
I want to be able to take pics with more depth and detail. I can i always tell when a "proper" camera has been used.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
As you're a member upload some onto the forum using the
insertimage.gif
icon when you post.

ukaskew (Chris) has taken some amazing pics with his old panasonic which isn't a DSLR and are better than some i've taken with my 350D.

However, for starters you need to define your budget. Beginner DSLRS start around £400-500 with a kit 18-55mm lens.

Have you thought about what lenses you might need or want?

Dyson
DSC00103.jpg

This was taken with my 3.2mp camera phone!

I've got no idea about lenses or anything technical. £400-500 seems ok.

Any links to sites etc.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Well the best bet is to get down to your local highstreet retailer. Not saying we're going to ask their advice or buy from them but you need to get the feel of them.

I'd try both Canon and Nikon, as well as Pentax. The right camera for you is not always the same for everyone. Ensure it is comfortable and feels good. You spend a long time behind it, holding it and carrying it. Make sure you get to take some pictures using the basic kit stuff. No point testing a £700 lens if you can't afford it.

I have a Canon EOS 350D with Canon 18-55 f/4-f/5.6 USM, 70-200 f/2.8 L USM Telephoto and a 35-350 f/4-f/5.6 L USM. I also have a Canon 2x extender for the L lenses and have recently got a carbon fibre monopod. That small selection has set me back just shy of £1,800 before buying the photo printer, case, memory cards etc.. so its an expensive habit!