ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smaller diameter crankshaft pulley?

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
Is there a smaller diameter crankshaft pulley to buy for the 172? In order to get the alternator and PAS pump rotating slower.

We are running 8h endurance races at full speed so it would be nice not to put that much stress on them.

I know it exists for BMW for example but I haven't found one for the Clio.

Cheers

dan's cast offs.
don't think so, lightweight ones available though. (off to check if the pms one is smaller...)

why not go epas or bin the alternator and just run total loss?

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
don't think so, lightweight ones available though. (off to check if the pms one is smaller...)

why not go epas or bin the alternator and just run total loss?
Does epas mean electric PAS? Does it exist for the Clio?

We have considered racing without PAS but we have never tried the Clio without it so we dont know if we will be able to make 8h on 3-4 drivers or if we will have to amputate our arms afterwards.

Regarding driving without the alternator. Is it feasable for 8h? Right now we have a smaller battery than oem so that's maybe not optimal.

dan's cast offs.
yup, elecy power steering. use dci/1.2 column and motor etc.

for total loss you'd need to work out what's being used and what power it takes etc...
could always look at running an alternator from o/s drive shaft.

Does epas mean electric PAS? Does it exist for the Clio?

We have considered racing without PAS but we have never tried the Clio without it so we dont know if we will be able to make 8h on 3-4 drivers or if we will have to amputate our arms afterwards.

Regarding driving without the alternator. Is it feasable for 8h? Right now we have a smaller battery than oem so that's maybe not optimal.
You could increase the capacity of the power steering reservoir to prevent it from overheating, also use mobile 1 fully synthetic atf has a higher boiling point than the normal stuff. http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/produc...ts_id=11758&osCsid=r236brk9p5anfnipemj2l94km5

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
yup, elecy power steering. use dci/1.2 column and motor etc.

for total loss you'd need to work out what's being used and what power it takes etc...
could always look at running an alternator from o/s drive shaft.
Interesting! How is the feel with the epas?

dan's cast offs.
feels fine, dci rack is direct mount to the subframe so you get rid of the standard rack bushes, not sure if you feel much if any difference or if it's psychological but i think you get slightly more feel for the steering.

Clio 182
Endurance racing is about finishing the race - how fast you are during that race is 2nd priority.
Your initial question is the right one, but I'd look at running a PAS fluid cooler in-line to the rack - ThinkAutomotive sell a few different options.
If there isn't a pulley available then look at having one made, there's plenty of companies that could do this if supplied with a stock pulley to work with.
I've been involved with data analysis for a few teams competing in the BritCar endurance series and by keeping things simple they have less issues. Also look at running the oil/water heat exchanger run on the R26 engine to help keep your oil temps in check, it's all OEM and you can then concentrate your packaging within the front of the car to just dealing with a coolant radiator and not an additional oil cooler. The Clio Cup race cars ran it back in the day [althought the parts aren't available any more].
You WILL NOT get through an 8hr race on total loss with a fuel injected car - the single seaters I'm involved with can manage a touch over an hour before they start struggling with fuel pressure issues caused by low voltage.

Dan

182cup & 172 racecar
I run a Saxo electric pump on my race car, although a little heavy, it has never given me any problems in 5yrs, just make sure if you get one, that the bits of pipe are with it, then just braze the Clio pipes to them, job done.

dan's cast offs.
You WILL NOT get through an 8hr race on total loss with a fuel injected car

was doing a bit of head scratching about total loss when i was dragging a few cars out of storage today...hadn't even thought about the fuel pump:confounded:

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
Endurance racing is about finishing the race - how fast you are during that race is 2nd priority.
Your initial question is the right one, but I'd look at running a PAS fluid cooler in-line to the rack - ThinkAutomotive sell a few different options.
If there isn't a pulley available then look at having one made, there's plenty of companies that could do this if supplied with a stock pulley to work with.
I've been involved with data analysis for a few teams competing in the BritCar endurance series and by keeping things simple they have less issues. Also look at running the oil/water heat exchanger run on the R26 engine to help keep your oil temps in check, it's all OEM and you can then concentrate your packaging within the front of the car to just dealing with a coolant radiator and not an additional oil cooler. The Clio Cup race cars ran it back in the day [althought the parts aren't available any more].
You WILL NOT get through an 8hr race on total loss with a fuel injected car - the single seaters I'm involved with can manage a touch over an hour before they start struggling with fuel pressure issues caused by low voltage.

Dan
Thanks a lot for your input! I will look into it. We didn't have any problems this season but I guess it's just a matter of time because I read that a lot of people have problems with the PAS pump and fluid.

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
I run a Saxo electric pump on my race car, although a little heavy, it has never given me any problems in 5yrs, just make sure if you get one, that the bits of pipe are with it, then just braze the Clio pipes to them, job done.
Thanks for the advice!