ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spacers, Caliper Grind or Buy Different Wheels

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I thought I'd ask in a new thread in case it gets lost in my general 'updates' thread.

I bought these wheels the other week and test fitted them yesterday as I've got a tyre fitting booked in at Demon Tweeks on Saturday. They're Lenso Spec-C's. The tyres I've bought are 195/50 15".

v28dLdp.jpg

The front's fitted without any issues at all. Straight over the calipers and no problem.

pzTSjPw.jpg

The rears however don't go over the calipers, but are only out by a few millimetres maximum.

OyXyE8A.jpg

In my mind I have a few options (if you can think of any more please let me know!). Spacers, Grinding a few mm off the front face of the calipers or just to sell these on and buy some different wheels.

What is the best option? I've never had to run spacers before some I'm not really sure what's best to be honest. Would I have to run spacers on the front if I run them on the rear? These wheels will predominantly used on track so will be switched back to OEM wheels (or different) for general road miles. Are spacers safe for track or will I get rubbing issues?

What is the best thing to do? All opinions welcome! :up:

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
What car did they come off

They've been on a Corsa and a Hyundai Accent I believe. I really did think that fronts would be the only problem.

5mm spacers or take a couple of mm of each face of friction material, that will move everything back.

Would I have to run spacers on the front as well as the rear or would it be ok with out? Hopefully I won't get any rubbing issues with 5mm.

Are there any good ones out there people would recommend?

dan's cast offs.
doubt you'd notice any difference with just the rear? try the pads first if you want though.

172 Cup
I had a similar problem with my track wheels where the offset meant the tyre rubbed the spring in the rear coilover.
I fitted 10mm axle spacers and I would recommend using these over hub spacers especially if using the car on track

dan's cast offs.
I had a similar problem with my track wheels where the offset meant the tyre rubbed the spring in the rear coilover.
I fitted 10mm axle spacers and I would recommend using these over hub spacers especially if using the car on track

won't solve the issue as they move everything out. if using spacers need to be hub spacers.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I'd grind the caliper as Pauleds said. So long as you are only taking a couple of mm off, it wont be a problem. I'd probably do it on a bench grinder though, you'll be able to keep it neat.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I may have secured another set of wheels which will solve the problem short term. If that doesn't work out I might get a 5mm spacer and then eventually grind the caliper down neatly and paint them. I've got the paint ready to go.

If I destroy the caliper I can't imagine they're a vast amount to replace. I'm not planning on smacking the curbs too hard on my first track day as well so hopefully a spacer will suffice.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
If I destroy the caliper I can't imagine they're a vast amount to replace. I'm not planning on smacking the curbs too hard on my first track day as well so hopefully a spacer will suffice.

Have had 5mm spacers on my Punto for years and not had a problem on track days. Could be too slow to be an issue though. :tired: