ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

spark plugged turned into ground to air missile

clio
Two weeks before xmas my spark plug decided to do a leaving act and shoot out the head and taking the tread with it..
my question is shall i buy a time sert kit and DIY it at home? is it worth it? will it last? anyone else had the same and been ok? the car does get ramped alot limmy bouncing and whatever else you would class as abuse.. the kits are from 20-70quid so vary in quality im guessing, so any kits to go for in particular?

Im not really in the financial position right now to get a new lump change loads of parts over do new fluids blah blah and its cold anyway :p

advice welcome :D

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I know people who have had them done at a garage, i dont know if i'd risk it DIY! I think the main concern is vacuuming out any swarf. What cars this on?

2014 Clio 200t edc
I'm sure someone recently had it done at a garage for not a lot of money, so might be worth asking around?

clio
I cant move it to a garage that would cost money then more on top when i could just get a new engine and change it out on the road in 5 hours

time sert around 50 quid
new lump 200 plus extras say another 200

just thinking its defo worth a try first as my old chaps handy with stuff like that was looking at helicoil but been told timesert is much better

doesnt look that bad to do either and will put something made up out the hoover to suck any swarf out i can (hopefully)

Looking....
I had it done a few weeks ago by a proper old boy who done hundreds in his time. Cost me £60 from memory.
Said he cuts the thread and uses grease on the cutting tool first then grease on the end of a screwdriver to remove as much of the remaining swarf as possible, then a air line to blow the remainder. He did say no matter how hard you try there will always be minute partials that can't be removed but as the head is alloy and soft it won't be a problem. Reassuring when he said that he's never had a engine go bang on him and he's atleast in him late 70's. So far so good :up:

PH2 172
I had it done a few weeks ago by a proper old boy who done hundreds in his time. Cost me £60 from memory.
Said he cuts the thread and uses grease on the cutting tool first then grease on the end of a screwdriver to remove as much of the remaining swarf as possible, then a air line to blow the remainder. He did say no matter how hard you try there will always be minute partials that can't be removed but as the head is alloy and soft it won't be a problem. Reassuring when he said that he's never had a engine go bang on him and he's atleast in him late 70's. So far so good :up:
Was that Harry`s son?
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/october-1978/34/obituary-harry-weslake

182 trackcar, XC60t6
whats the general feedback on timeserts??. . . my 172 just shat no4 plug and munted the ignition cable with it (175000km). . ..thread seems ok for now. Running a bit rough at low revs though.

Rusty Cup
This happened to my 182 getting of the m5 portishead junction. Got it towed to Avonmouth, had it time-serted or heli-coiled (can't remember) had the car back the next day sorted for around the £70 quid mark.

Would love to see a Renault quote for this repair. Full rebuild 30+ hours labour...