ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

speaker question from ice newbie

Could someone please give me some advice regarding speakers. I have a 99 clio, and have tweeters in the dash and small speakers in the doors. There is grills in the back doors and the wires are there but would like some advice on what speakers to get. I want a bassier sound but dont want to go with amps and sub boxes etc. The head unit i have is a Sony CDX-MP40 ( MP3) 4 x 50 Watts with 2 x Pre out. I have seen some speakers Kenwood KFC-W1705 17 cm Diameter woofer pair
* Peak power : 260w
* Frequency Response 30-3500hz
* Mounting Depth: 70mm

Would this setup get me a little coser to what i am after without getting amps etc....

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Forget Peak power etc.. get the RMS rating for you HU.

Then make sure that speakers you get are at the very least able to handle the RMS rating of your HU. But remeber..

Generally if you have a 400w speaker and a 40w speaker and you play 5w through both the 400w will have better sound quality, while im on the subject of sound quality most people on here will tell you that the sound quality on sony HUs are terrible, I happen to disagree but if you want great sound quality get an Alpine HU.

Remember to put the more powerfull better speakers in the front, and put the crap ones in the back for "fill", you dont go to a concert and stand with your back to the stage now do you ?

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 26 September 2003

Then make sure that speakers you get are at the very least able to handle the RMS rating of your HU. But remeber..

Generally if you have a 400w speaker and a 40w speaker and you play 5w through both the 400w will have better sound quality, while im on the subject of sound quality most people on here will tell you that the sound quality on sony HUs are terrible, I happen to disagree but if you want great sound quality get an Alpine HU.

Remember to put the more powerfull better speakers in the front, and put the crap ones in the back for "fill", you dont go to a concert and stand with your back to the stage now do you ?

I disagree, you can damage a speaker by underpowering it, just as much as you can from overpowering it. Speakers should be reasonably well matched to the amp powering them

thanks for replaying so quick _KDF. The rms rating for the hu is 23.2 watts RMS and the speakers are 23 watts rms do you reakon these will be any good?

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 26 September 2003

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 26 September 2003

I disagree, you can damage a speaker by underpowering it, just as much as you can from overpowering it. Speakers should be reasonably well matched to the amp powering them
This is not totally correct. You can only damage speakers by underpowering them if the signal you send them is clipped. This will only happen if you turn up the gain too much and the sound wave excedes the maximum capabilities of the amplifier (in this case the head unit).

You can run small power through high powered speakers all day if the amplified signal is within the amplifiers capabilities.