ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo Issue 172 P1 [Not Sensor]

Ph1 172 & others
Hi Guys,

My 172 speedometer doesn't work. I've only just picked up the car and it hasn't worked since I've had it, and apparently hasn't worked in the previous owners time with it. Googling / forum searches have suggested the speedo sensor but I've changed this and it's still not working.

Thought it might be the wiring but by luck my mate has a 1.4 Ph1 and his speedo doesn't work either. We tried his sensor on my car and vice versa. His car the odometer isn't counting up whereas mine is. I unplugged mine for a short journey and the odometer stopped working, therefore eliminating the sensor as the culprit.

So now wondering where else to look? It might have had the ECU played with as it's supposedly got a Formula Renault head on it (the cams are very lumpy so it does stand to reason...).

Before I start getting really in depth with it are there any other potential causes?

Thanks

Ph1 172 & others
Just tried this. All dials work except speedometer. I suspect the speedometer may have been left unplugged at some stage but annoyingly my torx set is 60 miles away!

Ph1 172 & others
Yea just managed to get the dash top off - it appears its plugged in to looks like a dead dial. Looks like i'm off to ebay...

Ph1 172 & others
Got one from @midge this evening (thanks man!) as it turned out he lives close to my mate who I was out for a drive with so worked out well. Appears that his dials have only 200 miles more than mine so works out well. Will test tomorrow and report back.