ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

speedo

clio 172 sport
not sure if this has been mentioned before sorry i have,
well my speedo works fine when driving normal but then when you boot it in every gear it go's crazy 0-160 etc just gos all over place??

182 cup
Could be the speed sensor - i had problems with mine where the speed used to suddenly drop off to 0 then shoot back up.

I changed my sensor and it sorted it out. it is a common problem

Freetrack&Monaco 172
They are about 25 quid from Renault for the speed sensor on the back of the gearbox down near where the exhaust manifold meets the Cat, they had loads in stock in my local one.

If you have ABS the speed might be read from the wheel sensors. Depends on the age of your car. Do you have a Phase 1 or 2?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
not sure if this has been mentioned before sorry i have,
well my speedo works fine when driving normal but then when you boot it in every gear it go's crazy 0-160 etc just gos all over place??

vtec-just-kicked-in-yo.png

As above, if its a Cup model it will 100% be the sender in the rear of the gearbox playing silly beggars. Its pretty common and a simple DIY job. If its not a Cup model then it'll be an issue with the ABS ring-gear or a wheel sensor so have each wheel off and look for split CV boots that have thrown grease everywhere.

Mink

172 ph1
I also have some issues with my 172 ph 1 speedometer. It's not working at all.
Could it be serious, or I could just change a camble and get it back to work? Any ideas?

Clio sport 172
Just had the same problem my 2002 172 sport (non cup). New speed sensor on the top of gear box £19.50. speedo works fine now. time to sort abs light!:)

Clio 172 ph1.
I had a dodgy speedo, kept switching on and off, so changed the sensor behind the engine and it was fine, how ever after booting it the other day it's died again. I put the old one back in but that gave me no life so now I'm lost!! But I'd say first port of call new sensor. Also might be worth taking off the engine cover when changing them, because once I got my arm down there it scraped the hell out of it pulling it back up !!