ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spitting Flames?

RenaultSport 172.
lately, i have seen a few clios spitting flames round my local area...

is this just because their cars are nailed...or is it just a case of de-cating your car?

surley spitting flames is illegal?

RenaultSport 172.
so is it just a case of de-cat?...

a few mk1s round here and im preety sure theyre only de-catted with a aftermarket BB....
theres also a corsa B, with only a backbox that spits flames? apparntley it gets that hot, the cat stops working so it acts as a de-cat??

RS Clio 200
DTM and F1 cars spit flames, but a clio and corsa? not without the flamethrower exhaust.... all it does is spray some extra fuel out the tail pipe and a spark to ignite. loada bollox if you ask me

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
DTM and F1 cars spit flames, but a clio and corsa? not without the flamethrower exhaust.... all it does is spray some extra fuel out the tail pipe and a spark to ignite. loada bollox if you ask me

that video is on thejesus' clio no flame thrower there

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
loads of clios spit flames and bang, get a supersprint manifold, decat, and slight overfueling.

visualize whirled pe
My friends have owned a couple of cars which spit flames with no mods done to encorage this.
One of em had a vw camper with a porsche engine and that used to spit flames for about 3 seconds. My old triumph used to spit flames occasionally.
Another mates capri 2.8 spat flames and lit the cetral reservation up behind him when driving at night and gunning it.

53 Clio's & counting
main cause is over fuelling,hence why carb fed cars can do it,because its harder too have accurate fueling with carb as apposed to efi

my old hybrid used to be able to spit,but then it had full system de cat and manifold with hill power chip

that thing about a cat gets so hot it acts as a de cat made me giggle lol as how can heat cuase the cat to loose its insides (hence the term decat) then insides somehow grow bk when cat get cold? love it lol

its an interestin 1 why they do it tho mate

williams and trophy
both mine spit flames.. 0159 iv been told kicks out a healthy flame with bang, and apparently 0051 looks like the side of the cars on fire....lol. both with and without de-cat on 0051, side exit btw, but its hard to get 0159 to do i t with the cat on.

My valver pops, bangs then flames, but only when ive been running for about 20 odd minutes.

the main cause is under-fuelling, as its a lean burn in the cylinder and is still burning on the exhaust cycle.

most cars with a good exhaust system and de-cat will spit flames natuarly on the over run, had some bigun's out the side of mine.

My RT used to pop and bang like hell, and if it had been running for a while and the exhaust was nice and hot, id occasionally get it to spit the odd flame out.

That was with a completely standard system with just a backbox and decat. It had the middle silencer in still yet it popped and flamed anyway.

I will miss her lots. :(

RenaultSport 172.
hmm , so doesnt sound like a big mod is needed...just decat...?

i think its preety kool...only thing that s abit :S is if its spittin them whilst normal driving.....cars behind you e.tc.....how long before you spit one at a police car foloowing :S.....

hmm....

hmm , so doesnt sound like a big mod is needed...just decat...?

i think its preety kool...only thing that s abit :S is if its spittin them whilst normal driving.....cars behind you e.tc.....how long before you spit one at a police car foloowing :S.....

hmm....

I think the fact my car was either running rich/lean had something to do with it. It doesnt just pop like a b*****d all the time, there is a fair amount of control in it - coming off the gas after running it round a few thousand rpms, and then feathering the throttle was the only way to get it to spit, so if you wanted to drive home like a nun its entirely possible, or at least it was for me anyway.

Get yourself a decat basically, and see how it goes from there.

emmiting a spark /ashes from your zrst is only a£30fine... unless you burn someone lol.. you an burn your stem seals and pistons rings out ...;-) lol

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
Mines seriously overfuelling, with a 182manifold with a straight thru pipe where the cat should be then a custom exhaust-aint seen no flames as yet but she pops like a b*tch lol

Valver..
mines spits flames pops bangs... only through D-cat thou. nothin flame thrower goin on there! only dose it coming down through the gears or goin up and lettin the revs come down....i have a Full K-tec system on me valver

Valver..
but remenber if its older then 91 u gotta have the cat on for the MOT im ok i can leave mine on all the time :D

both mine spit flames.. 0159 iv been told kicks out a healthy flame with bang, and apparently 0051 looks like the side of the cars on fire....lol. both with and without de-cat on 0051, side exit btw, but its hard to get 0159 to do i t with the cat on.

159's still the daddy for flames Jon, they are feckin huge! lol

what about the time we were going to mine and down the 627M, remeber my flames with the cat on? :D Awesome hehe