ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

spray a bonnet

Honda Civic Type R '02
how much roughtly will it be to get a bonnet professionaly sprayed,
for example a red 16v bonnet to white.

and what's involved in doing it?
is it just several new coats of white and a lacquer.
Or does it need to be stripped and primed etc.

thanks

Punto/Clio GTT
if its a brand new bonnet
- it will be prepped (scuffed with an abrasive pad or sanded with P320 or P400)
- then it will be painted, depends on the type of paint and the bodyshop as to how. if its metallic it will be basecoat/laquer, if its a straight colour then you can paint it high solid 2k (no laquer) BUT you can still use basecoat/laquer method on a straight colour, as i say varies bodyshop to bodyshop and what works best for them.
- then it will have the bits of crap wet flatted from the paint when its dry and mopped up (polished)

price? 100 quid or so

ide highly advise getting both wings painted too if you need a new bonnet for colour matching

*edit* juat re-read your post.

as its a second hand bonnet, they will do any damage to the bonnet, primer any areas that needed filling. the bonnet will be prepped with P320 or so and then basecoat can be applied directly on top of the old laquer.

BUT, if your Red bonnet has been painted with high solid 2k paint previously (no laquer on it) the bonnet will need to be prepped then painted black or green and then painted white. if you spray white onto a high solid red it will go pink as it will come through the paintwork. Painting it green will kill the red completely and allow for the white to go on normally, the same with black.. black kills everything

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 172
I had a bonnet sprayed in the glacier white, the bodyshop sprayed it in the colour code I gave them (which was the right one) but when it came to putting it on the car we noticed that the white on the rest of the car had faded in comparison to the bonnet white.

If your taking it to a bodyshop to do I would recommend giving them something to match the paint too otherwise you could get a mismatch in colour like I did.

Also, mine cost £100 to respray (at a professional bodyshop) from a metal flake black to the white. It was keyed down, prepped and sprayed then lacquered.