ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

spraying

i've decided i dont want to use cans of spray paint anymore, and want to get some kind of gun/compressor setup.

only problem is i have no idea what equipment i need and there's so much different choice out there. i dont want anything to hardcore because it probably wont get used that much when im done. so if anyone can give me some advice as to what i need to buy.

i'd also like some advice on paints, thinners, how to mix etc etc.

thanks,
richard

Monaco 172
I have smallish compressor and guns and it's ok for doing small bits (like wing mirrors/bump strips) in my shed.

Takes a while to get the knack of it though.

A compressor is a usefull thing to have though, even if i do only use it a few times a year.

Punto/Clio GTT
basic set up your gonna need

- compressor
- air regulator
- air line
- 2/3 spray guns (primer, colour, clear) although you can use 1 gun for colour and clear
- some tak rags
- mixing stick
- 5l standard thinners
- 5l panel wipe
- 2l 2k hardener
- 5l 2k laquer
- roll of lint free rags (for pre-cleaning)
- some mixing cups
- some paint strainers (medium)

mixing paint

most cars will be a basecoat with laquer on top. some cars are just high solids, so you have 2 choices on how you paint them;
1 with basecoat/laquer
2 with high solid paint

Basecoat
usually mixed in the ratio of between 1:1 (paint:thinners) and 2:1 (paint/thinners) (see manufacturers recommendations) so if you got a respray to do and you need 4 litres for example, your only gonna need 2 litres of paint as you will thin it down and get double the ammount.

Laquer
usually mixed 4:1:10% (laquer/hardener/thinner) although it does vary slightly, just read the recommendations again as it could be 5:1.

High solid
usually mixed 2:1 (paint/hardener).

Spray Guns
2 main types, gravifed and suction feed.
suction feed is what it says really, it sucks the paint up the tube to feed into the flow of air. gravi (gravity) means the paint cup is on top of the gun and it falls into the flow of air.
ide recommend getting 2/3 of these guns for beginner, ideal for everything really. can adjust pressure/fan width/height etc.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=000510005&r=2013&g=103

air regulator
ok you may need 2 of these but you can work with 1 (just means going back n forth to your compressor everytime the compressor goes low or too high.
you connect one to the compressor and then the airline plugs into it. it has a valve in which lets you control how much air is allowed into the airline from the compressor itself. if you try spray without one, the paint will come out like a firemans hose. having one on your gun also means you can have the one on the compressor on half, then fine adjust it with the gun while your painting for a better finish.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=000210030&r=2015&g=103
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=000215448&r=2015&g=103

your gonna need the air line connectors too, these are brass fixings that you push into the ends of the airline (held on by hose clips).

Punto/Clio GTT
also primer
2 main types you'll come across
cellulose and 2pack (2k).

Cellulose
All round primer really, use it for anything. Usually mixed 4/5:1 (primer:thinners). Dries in around an hour, maybe less.

Only use this for really big repairs as its high build stuff (covers scratches etc), takes few hours to dry. Mixed 4/5:1:10% (primer/2k hardener/thinner). You can leave it the thinner, or add a little more thinner, depending on what the repairs like, how hot or cold it is in the place your working etc

Tesla MP3 2021
may sound stupid but aldi to a compressor for under £100....and i do believe they do spary guns aswell...

worth a look.;)

Thanks for the awesome post FM :D it's gonna take a while to digest it all! lol
i've got a few questions if you dont mind:-

- compressor (what hp/ltr? ive heard that nothing less than 3hp / 25ltr> can you recommend any?)

-some tak rags (what are these for?)

-5l panel wipe (for cleaning surfaces?)

also, would this set up be ok for spraying internal plastics (outside the of the car of course!) ?

Punto/Clio GTT
basically you get what you pay for with a compressor, you buy a 3hp 25 litre you may just paint a couple of doors before you need to leave it to refil. if your gonna be doin some serious painting, resprays etc, your gonna need a bigger capacity one.

cant really recommend any as i only use industrial ones sorry

- when youve got a prepped car, masked and ready for paint. you wanna blow the car off with an air line. blow off any dust etc. then you wanna soak a lint free cloth with panel wipe and wipe down the panel really well. make sure you wipe it off with another cloth and dont just let it evaporate or it'll leave marks when its painted.

- when your paints mixed up and your ready to go, wipe the panel all over with a tak rag (sticky rag which attracts dust). once your basecoat (colour) is on and its dry and your ready to laquer, wipe it over with the tak rag again, this'll lead to a much better finish with less bits of crap in the clear coat.

happy to answer any questions, like to see it when people have a go themselves