ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

squeaking noise from wiper arms or wiper motors

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The motor probably isn't located on the spigot properly

Wiper arms off then, the skuttle off, 3 bolts to remove the motor, mount it properly.

That's the normal cure.

182 clio
ok sound will try that mate, if its not that should i be spraying wd40 around the moving parts to try and fix?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wouldn't do any harm.

The wipers are a bit stiff to come off by the way.

Once the skuttle is off you'll see if it's on the spigot or not.

People often remove the motor to get to the alarm then don't locate it properly putting it back.

mine were squeaking i just sprayed wd40 in where it holds onto to wiper arms....
sorted since the start of the year:)

ohh also pull your wipers up in the air and turn on your wipers and then spray wd on:)

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
How does the mechanism need to be mounted? I have replaced the mechanism to stop squeaking but the new one still squeaks...perhaps it's how I'm mounting it? Thanks in advance

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
There is a mounting stud on the bulkhead which the mechanism needs to locate to. This is where most people go wrong and the cause of *most* noises when the wipers are being used.

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just had a look at this on the weekend and stumbled across the stud which...wasn't properly located. Wipers off, then rotated the mechanism a bit to locate on the stud and instantly, wipers are totally silent! I applied a load of silicone grease to the joints which helped also.
The stud sticks out of the firewall and points towards the engine bay, and fits into a gap on the back of the motor - problem solved

Clio 2 ph1 43kw
Just had a look at this on the weekend and stumbled across the stud which...wasn't properly located. Wipers off, then rotated the mechanism a bit to locate on the stud and instantly, wipers are totally silent! I applied a load of silicone grease to the joints which helped also.
The stud sticks out of the firewall and points towards the engine bay, and fits into a gap on the back of the motor - problem solved
hello is there a Pic to help please

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
hello is there a Pic to help please
Nabbed from another user - it's underneath the bulkhead around here. With the wiper mechanism out, you can easily see it.

1589450557329.png

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks — solved! I took the starter motor off six months ago to clear the drain hole in the bulkhead. Everything went back to normal, but the wipers made an awful noise. I lived with it for months.

I just fixed it!!! :D This post made me strip it down again, and I noticed a spigot/stud welded to the bulkhead, which was about 10mm long and 5mm in diameter, round. There is a recess/hole in the wiper motor body. I didn't see it last time, and the peg was not in the hole - that's all it was! I loosened the 3 bolts and moved the motor a fraction so the spigot went in the recess in the motor body, resembled, and it works silently!!! that 10mm difference caused all the noise.

Thanks for the idea. Hope this post helps a few others avoid the dreadful wiper noise.:D:D:D:D:)

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks — solved! I took the starter motor off six months ago to clear the drain hole in the bulkhead. Everything went back to normal, but the wipers made an awful noise. I lived with it for months.

I just fixed it!!! :D This post made me strip it down again, and I noticed a spigot/stud welded to the bulkhead, which was about 10mm long and 5mm in diameter, round. There is a recess/hole in the wiper motor body. I didn't see it last time, and the peg was not in the hole - that's all it was! I loosened the 3 bolts and moved the motor a fraction so the spigot went in the recess in the motor body, resembled, and it works silently!!! that 10mm difference caused all the noise.

Thanks for the idea. Hope this post helps a few others avoid the dreadful wiper noise.:D:D:D:D:)
I found this pic from when I cleaned the drins - the spiggot is located here - roughly - welded to the bulkhead

Attachments

• Spiggot.JPG
    Spiggot.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 16