ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squirming under braking

Fabia VRS
Cant seem to find anything on this on a search but... sometimes when I brake my car squirms and moves across the road, sometimes its worse than others, sometimes its not. It doesnt happen at any particular time either, like whether I brake harshly or not, it just does it. Any one got any ideas on how to fix this? Car is only a 1.2, so not like ive done any engine mods.

Changes to often
mines abit like that, but only if i hit bumps when breaking, my car is lowered so it rides harder and doesnt absorb the bumps as well makes it abit skitty on bumpt roads. has yours been lowered?

Fabia VRS
mines abit like that, but only if i hit bumps when breaking, my car is lowered so it rides harder and doesnt absorb the bumps as well makes it abit skitty on bumpt roads. has yours been lowered?

Yeh i thought at first that it might only be when hitting bumps or when braking harshly but it just seems to be random. But yeh its been lowered 40mm front and back.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Is there a load bias valve in the clios?

Might be putting more braking power to the back because it 'thinks' there is weight in the back due to being lowered?

Just a thought

Fabia VRS
Is there a load bias valve in the clios?

Might be putting more braking power to the back because it 'thinks' there is weight in the back due to being lowered?

Just a thought

appreciate the advice but have no idea what that means. could you explain? from the sounds of things its probably worth mentioning that i do have a bootbuild.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
appreciate the advice but have no idea what that means. could you explain? .

Brake force distribution is dictated by the ride height (varying with the load). Low rear end tricks the rear brakes into thinking there is lots of weight in the back = more rear brake force (iirc).

Fabia VRS
ok thanks guys, guessing my bootbuild has a big say in this. do you know how do adjust this? also would it help if i upgraded my drums to calipers?

Clio 182, Astra Sri
That would make it worse, if you don't adjust the bias valve

Someone will be able to tell you more in depth. I just know its a factor when lowered

Nothing to do with weight, but cos you have weight and it's lowered, the car thinks its heavier in the back than it actually is

Fabia VRS
kinda makes sense. thanks for that mate. ill leave this open for a little while to get some more suggestions.