ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Star Trail Fail

Nikon D700
D'oh!! I didn't have a remote with me, and the only way I could think to set this up was with interval shooting. Clearly not thinking, and being a complete fool, I set up some 30 second exposures at 31 second intervals.

So, 30 seconds shutter open, 31 seconds rest, 30 seconds open, 31 seconds rest... Anyone good at dot-to-dot?

5659405604_4b84f5479a_z.png

Star Trail Fail by capturedbyjames, on Flickr

"Navy" N17 TWO
Not a bad attempt, at least you've tried this :)

What settings are recommended for star trails anyway? (for future reference)

Nikon D700
Cheers. Now I've tried it I'll strive for perfection (with a remote shutter release).

That was 40 images, 30 second exposure, ISO 200 f2.8 I believe (can't remember off the top of my head).

I just took one shot that I was happy with, then used those settings for the rest. A bit of trial/error, but you get the jist.

RS Megane DCi 175
It's actually quite a nice pic!
I don't understand why you'd pick a 31sec interval though? lol.

Storm Grey 200
I have had reasonable success in the past. I first used the very long single exposure technique, but the stacking gave far better results (less noise).

Im waiting for a clear sky and a day that I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn so I can take some at the Avebury stones.

Nikon D700
It's actually quite a nice pic!
I don't understand why you'd pick a 31sec interval though? lol.

I was thinking that 31 seconds would give me 1 second in between 30 second exposures. Clearly I was stupid though...

lol nice attempt though.

I want to give this a try soon. Didn't realise the cheat technique of combining separate photos.

It's far from the cheat method - it's how the real boys do it! Leaving the shutter open too long means the sensor gets hot and starts doing odd things and gets very noisy. I didn't know that before though, just stumbled upon how others do it when I got back.

I have had reasonable success in the past. I first used the very long single exposure technique, but the stacking gave far better results (less noise).

Im waiting for a clear sky and a day that I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn so I can take some at the Avebury stones.

I'm hooked now and want to do it more.... just a bit too lazy to get out atm....

Makes for quite an interesting shot all the same!

I've only tried the long shutter approach....which does lead to quite a lot of noise, even at relatively low ISOs. What are software options regarding image stacking?

Nikon D700
I've only tried the long shutter approach....which does lead to quite a lot of noise, even at relatively low ISOs. What are software options regarding image stacking?

I didn't bother with any software, apart from photoshop, just opened all images as layers, and set each layers mode to Lighten. Job done!

I'm currently have a go tonight. The sky is completely clear, camera set to take 150 30s photos. So I'm going to be waiting around for a while.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
How are you guys setting the intervals?

Do all of your cameras have the interval timer built in or are you using software or a remote?

I've looked at a couple of remotes for the interval release but they are pretty pricey.

Quite interested in how you do yours.

Cheers

Storm Grey 200
I just use the hold button on my remote release :)

Hopefully the sky is clear tomorrow night...

Storm Grey 200
Oh my days it was cold sat out under the stars last night. Just making my maiden voyage on photoshop, to try and get something out of these pics... Pretty sure my D90 stopped firing for a minute at one point, but I shall see..