ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting issue after 3 month standing :(

Iceberg PH1 172
Hi all, I've recently begin getting my ph1 roadworthy again and top of the order is to get it started. It was parked up in GWO after the MOT ran out on the summer.

Today I've fitted a new battery and the engine turns over continuously until i release the key but won't fire (Solid red immob light)

I've fitted a new TDC sensor i had purchased previously to eliminate any chance there..

New Battery has a green light indicating its all groovy on that front. (Enforcer Brand 063)

Added a petrol can full of 95Ron from my local station last Friday and digi readout says 7L of fuel in the tank.

I've given the black relays in the bay fuse box a jiggle but not removed them to check pins.

I've pressed the fuel cut off switch in the bay a couple of times to eliminate that it may have been pressed accidentally while fitting battery.

Any obvious points I'm missing.?
Thanks in advance.

dan's cast offs.
imobiliser isn't clearing. unlock car, ignition on but don't try and start the car, leave it on for thirty seconds to a minute, ignition off, lock car, unlock, ignition on and see if it clears.

Iceberg PH1 172
imobiliser isn't clearing. unlock car, ignition on but don't try and start the car, leave it on for thirty seconds to a minute, ignition off, lock car, unlock, ignition on and see if it clears.

I've just given that process half a dozen attempts with varying waiting times of 30s to 1m, but no success.

It maybe worth noting, I have an immobiliser bypass dongle in the OBD port as I had suspected transponder failure about 18 months ago.

I locked the car via the button inside near the ashtray while trying your instructions.
Thanks for the reply.

Iceberg PH1 172
Been out to it again today...

Tried leaving doors and boot open with key in pos 2 for ten mins. No change.

Tried leaving key in ignition and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery after 5 mins. No change.

Large fuses in bay box look clean after removing/refitting

Fuel pump is priming. I can hear it.

Anymore ideas.? I'd really like to get it back on road asap. I've been driving a R5 campus with an iffy headgasket + 900 other issues since September...

IMG_20161203_105205.jpg
IMG_20161203_105216.jpg

Help?!

Iceberg PH1 172
So I'm currently poking around the 3 black relays again in the bay, does this relay look goosed to anyone else.? Blue/green copper deposits im thinking.?

I've swapped all three around with no success in starting. I've now got the battery light on from many starting attempts, so I've disconnected that before it's flat as a pancake...
IMG_20161207_114016.jpg IMG_20161207_114036.jpg

Relay box for reference.

dan's cast offs.
AFAIK the bypass won't work once the car loses power? Could be wrong but not had anything to do with them.

Iceberg PH1 172
]
AFAIK the bypass won't work once the car loses power? Could be wrong but not had anything to do with them.
As I understand it, it just sends the keycode directly to the ecu since the transponder round the barrel is knackered.

I lost C.Locking functions and immobiliser was not disabling either , via key in ignition, as I mentioned before, the little dongle didnt fix the CL but did let me drive the car again. (18 months ago)

I'm pretty confident its not the immobiliser, since when I did have a stuck immob the car would fire briefly, then cut out. Now it won't even fire at all. Just turns over until you stop.

I've done some digging into a relay box diagram. The relay I posted a pic of seems to be for the fuel pump, which despite looking suspect I've definitely heard it priming as I got on my belly and turned the key over to check, so must be working and just looking aged...

Clio Relays.png

Iceberg PH1 172
Yeah, That's a side effect of the odb dongle.
When i turn ignition on normally.

Immob flashes fast for a few seconds, then changes to solid red and the car starts, after about 30 seconds of the engine running the solid red disappears. I think from previous readings, solid red denotes a canbus fault. But the instructions I received with the dongle state this is normal..

I'll dig the leaflet out for a pic if I can find it.

Iceberg PH1 172
These are the dongle instructions I mentioned. Thanks for your replies.

Attachments

• renault clio bypass.pdf
    252 KB · Views: 195
  Iceberg PH1 172
Just to put an end to this topic. Its alive again. Garage found faulty non genuine TDC sensor and also a break in the loom over gbox. Just PAS leak and MOT left now

Iceberg PH1 172
So it finally made it to the garage a week later, their fault not mine.
The new damper fitted 4 weeks previously is leaking.
Confirmed pas hose leak (glad its not the rack or pump) ,
Hazards don't work. That's a new one they found on mot precheck.
There's gonna be a half dozen advisories but another 150 should see it rattle through an mot, and I can continue trying to go through it renewimg stuff front to back as originally planned.

Last years Mot was 358 if I remember righty.
This years is already at 320 + 145 in parts...