ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting Problems

Clio Dynamique 1.2
Hi my Clio 1.2 has a intermittent starting problem, the issue is normally when cold it's turns over for about 10-15 seconds before starting but this doesn't always happen and at other times its starts straight away, does anybody have any ideas? thanks

Mk1 172 Renaultsport
Hi my Clio 1.2 has a intermittent starting problem, the issue is normally when cold it's turns over for about 10-15 seconds before starting but this doesn't always happen and at other times its starts straight away, does anybody have any ideas? thanks
Hi , Clean the crankshaft sensor. worked for me :eek:)

Clio Dynamique 1.2
Just an update....
I cleaned the crankshaft sensor and didn't notice any issues since but found someone who could put it on the renault clip and it flagged up straight away with a fault (df025) i think, which is to do with the crankshaft sensor but this couldnt be cleared so i ordered an new sensor from renault and fitted it and cleared the fault and had no problems since, thanks for pointing me in the right direction cause i wouldnt have thought of that

Mk1 172 Renaultsport
Glad that solved your problem. I had this issue for a long time on and off and even renault couldnt fathom it . Its only years later when I was getting stuck by the roadside that one chap from green flag cleaned it and its been working fine ever since that proved it was the sensor.

I have found on other makes of car that crank sensors often fail with age and produce a poor output signal.

They are basically a coil of wire and the heat cycles of the engine causes the wiring to break down and the resistance go up. Often this can be seen by measuring across the pins on the sensor and comparing it to the spec of a new one.

Normally they are meant to read less than 1000 Ohms or so, but this can co very high on a failing sensor.

Crank sensors for these cars are cheap enough I have seen them selling for under £10 on ebay. I think it is probably better idea to just replace the sensor rather than try and clean it, especially when you consider the hassle of getting it out.