ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering clicking and gone a bit vague

GSXR + KDX220
Basically I've got the (fairly common it seems) clicking noise coming from my steering when manouvering at low speed and has seemed to have gone a bit vague and wanders around a bit, especially when accelerating quite hard. Its been like it a couple of months now but SEEMS to be getting worse. :S Until then its always felt pretty tight and accurate.

I've looked at the following:
Wishbones (all tight and good cond bushes)
Driveshafts are ok
Subframe bolts all tight
Track rods/ends dont seem to have play in them
Replaced bottom ball joint a few weeks back (no change) and the other side about a year ago

Not tried top mounts yet, but the clicking noise only happens when the car is completely on the ground, if I jack one side up a little it doesnt make the noise.

Its hard to describe but I tried listening from the engine bay while the g/f turned the wheel and it sounds like a metallic "twang" sort of noise, that seems to travel through the body and if anything sounds a bit louder inside the car.

Also, Ive noticed a slightly feint knocking when bumping along over roughish ground, but that SOUNDS like its near the middle-rear of the car but cant see anything out of place or worn out/loose.

Clio182
I think I have the same issues. Does yours not self centre properly sometimes? Does it sometimes click like its cancelling the indicators, some time after turning?

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
Mine is the drive shafts I think , as I spoke To ktec and they say it's quite rare for a rack to go in these......

I vote for it being a top mount issue, bearing being rough and "snagging" on the spring cup (seeing as we're all just guessing) :)