ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Column/Rack

Finally changed my gearbox. The car is all back together and the last thing I need to do is put the pinch bolt for the steering rack to column back in. But can't find the hole that is meant to go through :eek: And done it blind when I took it out so didn't see where the bolt come out of, which isn't helping.

This is the bolt I mean:

IMG_20130220_115244_zpsceb70082.jpg

This photo is taken from under the car, looking up at the column.

d0015dcd-1de6-4dcd-b347-14fca6a55baa_zps3908ad7d.jpg

Where should the hole be?

Cheers

172/1.2/E30
On the end of the column is some kind of "clamp". That must clamp the "entry shaft" on the steering rack. Bolt "clamps" the clamp. FLOL
I hope you didn't turn the steering wheel or rack while they weren't connected...

I haven't moved the steering wheel. But might have moved the track rods a bit trying to get the gearbox and drive shafts out etc. :S

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
i had this problem doing my manifold change, and i spun the steering wheel to try and get them lined up again.....doh!

I dropped the back end of the subframe to give some clearance to get it back together in the end, lined the wheels all up straight then had a fight to get it all together.

patience and perseverance is all i can offer.

Cheers.

Will give it ago tomorrow, still need to fit the drive shafts and track rod ends etc so I can check the wheels are straight...

How for did you need to drop the frame down mate? Did you just loosen the rear bolts or did you need drop the whole frame down a bit?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
front was all done up, i took the supports out from the wheel arches, and removed the gearbox mount and 2 rear bolts, hadn't got round to re-fitting the brace plates by that point.

supported the subframe on a trolley jack, then went in over the back edge of the subframe on the drivers side with the bolt.